Metal Storm logo
My Favorite Metal Songs

Here is a revamped list of my favorite metal songs!
It was hard to limit it to 50 albums, and even harder to rank them, but I believe it’s a good insight into my current taste in metal!

The old version of my “300+ Greatest Metal Songs of All Time” is archived and can be found through this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a8UTyLlQ5ReSjfJM1ww70oCVHuvtZq_-rcVtIylP9sk/edit?usp=sharing

Created by: F3ynman2000 | 24.06.2021

1. Kypck - Черно
02. Christmas in Murmansk
2. Vektor - Terminal Redux
10. Recharging the Void
3. Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
09. Annihilation of the Wicked
4. Judas Priest - Defenders Of The Faith
04. The Sentinel
5. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
02. Funeralopolis
6. Summoning - Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame
03. In Hollow Halls Beneath the Fells
7. Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
06. The Hunt
8. Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
08. Dante’s Inferno
9. Neurosis - Souls At Zero
9. Takeahnase
10. Porta Nigra - Kaiserschnitt
03. Kaiserschnitt
11. Slayer - Reign In Blood
01. Angel of Death
12. Be'lakor - Stone's Reach
02. From Scythe to Sceptre
13. Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
10. Von Unaussprechlichen Kulten
14. Vektor - Terminal Redux
01. Charging the Void
15. Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
01. Awakening...
16. Kyuss - Kyuss
06. Demon cleaner
17. Autopsy - Severed Survival
05. Ridden with Disease
18. Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops
07. Dr. Seuss Is Dead
19. Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic
05. Drink The Midnight Hymn
20. Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality
08. Into the Void
21. Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
07. Ahab's Oath
22. Vektor - Terminal Redux
03. LCD (Liquid Crystal Disease)
23. Japanische Kampfhörspiele - Welt Ohne Werbung
08. Der neue Hitler
24. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
03. Weird tales
25. Slayer - Show No Mercy
09. Crionics
26. Nile - Annihilation Of The Wicked
07. Lashed to the Slave Stick
27. Acherontas - Vamachara
02. Blood Current Illumination
28. Ahab - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
03. Old Thunder
29. High On Fire - Death Is This Communion
03. Death is this Communion
30. Judas Priest - Painkiller
08. A Touch of Evil
31. Lord Belial - Enter The Moonlight Gate
01. Enter the Moonlight Gate
32. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
07. Tornado of Souls
33. Dissection - Storm Of The Light's Bane
02. Night's Blood
34. Kypck - Черно
05. Black Hole
35. Kvelertak - Kvelertak
04. Blodtorst
36. Lucifer's Fall - III - From The Deep
05. Across the void
37. Kypck - Ниже
09. Comrades
38. Lucifer's Fall - III - From The Deep
07. From the deep
39. Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
04. The Nocturnal Silence
40. Neurosis - Enemy Of The Sun
01. Lost
41. Nile - Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka
07. Die Rache Krieg Lied der Assyriche
42. Summoning - Minas Morgul
02. Lugburz
43. Virgin Black - Elegant... And Dying
06. The Everlasting
44. Melechesh - Emissaries
02. Ladders to Sumeria
45. Batushka - Litourgiya
01. Ектения I: Очищение
46. Neurosis - Through Silver In Blood
01. Through Silver in Blood
47. Nocte Obducta - Galgendämmerung - Von Nebel, Blut Und Totgeburten
09. Wenn nur im Tod noch Frieden liegt
48. Burzum - Filosofem
03. Erblicket die Töchter des Firmaments
49. Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
01. Brave
50. High On Fire - The Art Of Self Defense
02. 10,000 Years

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by F3ynman2000 ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 46   Visited by: 156 users
24.06.2021 - 11:10
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Fantastic list! Lots of my favourite songs here too🖒
24.06.2021 - 17:17
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 24.06.2021 at 11:10

Fantastic list! Lots of my favourite songs here too🖒

Thanks! I love all of these songs! When I was making the list, I started writing down obvious ones that I know I consider as the best like Hallowed be thy name, Stargazer, Fear of the Dark, etc. And then I just kept going: I found myself writing all of these down - just from memory alone! I was always thinking: Am I missing something? (I suddenly remembered W.A.S.P, which I actually haven't heard in forever!)
Now I think this list is a true collection of all the metal songs that I know and love . (I only had to look up how some of the songs are spelled and which words are capitalized .)
24.06.2021 - 19:12
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Update: I replaced Train of Consequences with Dio's All the Fools Sailed Away. I just listened to this song after not hearing it for over one year... and wow... Dio's voice is perfect: angelic yet powerful. Plus, it might have one of the greatest guitar solos of all time. I got chills! I put it at #35
24.06.2021 - 20:31
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by F3ynman2000 on 24.06.2021 at 17:17

Thanks! I love all of these songs! When I was making the list, I started writing down obvious ones that I know I consider as the best like Hallowed be thy name, Stargazer, Fear of the Dark, etc. And then I just kept going: I found myself writing all of these down - just from memory alone! I was always thinking: Am I missing something? (I suddenly remembered W.A.S.P, which I actually haven't heard in forever!)
Now I think this list is a true collection of all the metal songs that I know and love . (I only had to look up how some of the songs are spelled and which words are capitalized .)

I understand what you mean, I've began trying to create my own list of favourite songs, but there are loads, I'm starting off by writing them all down, remembering ones I haven't heard for ages, eventually when I'm satisfied I will begin to rank them as accurately as I can, it's tough but fun too.
24.06.2021 - 22:28
Redel
Good list. Nice to see someone else do this type of list -- you've already seen mine, but there is not many more "best songs" lists to be found here.
While I think many of the songs you picked are more or less obvious -- given the album -- I will mention some of the maybe less obvious ones, for which I will thumb up your list:
Without judgement, The somberlain, The sentinel, The sign of the southern cross, Gates of Babylon, Man on the silver mountain, Twilight
24.06.2021 - 22:38
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
This is a rather nice list, though we don't have many in common it's always nice to see what people enjoy ! Good job mate
25.06.2021 - 09:15
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Redel on 24.06.2021 at 22:28

Good list. Nice to see someone else do this type of list -- you've already seen mine, but there is not many more "best songs" lists to be found here.
While I think many of the songs you picked are more or less obvious -- given the album -- I will mention some of the maybe less obvious ones, for which I will thumb up your list:
Without judgement, The somberlain, The sentinel, The sign of the southern cross, Gates of Babylon, Man on the silver mountain, Twilight

Thanks, man! Yeah I still love the classics. At least I didn't put Paranoid or Master of Puppets at #1
Thanks for noticing the underrated songs in my list. I also think Rock Hard Ride Free, Dread and Fugitive Mind, Where Next to Conquer, and Burnt Offerings are pretty underrated songs!
25.06.2021 - 15:58
Redel
Written by F3ynman2000 on 25.06.2021 at 09:15

Thanks, man! Yeah I still love the classics. At least I didn't put Paranoid or Master of Puppets at #1
Thanks for noticing the underrated songs in my list. I also think Rock Hard Ride Free, Dread and Fugitive Mind, Where Next to Conquer, and Burnt Offerings are pretty underrated songs!

I wanted to mention Burnt Offerings, indeed. I was hesitating because I was not too sure how highly praised it generally is.
Where next to conquer is a great song, all songs on the album are great. But I prefer other songs from IVth Crusade (title track, Celestial sanctuary, This time it's war, As the world burns).
Rock hard ride free is very good, right. I just prefer The sentinel, Jawbreaker, Freewheel burning, and Love bites.
The Megadeth song mentioned I am not familiar with from the top of my head. I dont like this album.
25.06.2021 - 18:18
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Redel on 25.06.2021 at 15:58

I wanted to mention Burnt Offerings, indeed. I was hesitating because I was not too sure how highly praised it generally is.
Where next to conquer is a great song, all songs on the album are great. But I prefer other songs from IVth Crusade (title track, Celestial sanctuary, This time it's war, As the world burns).
Rock hard ride free is very good, right. I just prefer The sentinel, Jawbreaker, Freewheel burning, and Love bites.
The Megadeth song mentioned I am not familiar with from the top of my head. I dont like this album.

I'm new to Testament, but I think Over the wall is definitely the most quoted of The Legacy album.
I love that Where Next to Conquer riff
All songs on Defenders of the Faith are great! But Rock Hard Ride Free I find has a standout intro and solo!
I don't know any other albums off of the World Needs a Hero, to be honest. But Dread and Fugitive Mind is on the Megadeth compilation CD that I have. The song is super badass! Cool lyrics, Dave's vocals are also really good, awesome riff, and a super solo (very Tornado of Souls-like!)
27.06.2021 - 11:16
JoHn Doe
Nice list, a lot of great songs in there.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
27.06.2021 - 21:39
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by JoHn Doe on 27.06.2021 at 11:16

Nice list, a lot of great songs in there.

Thanks! I appreciate that! Do you know any other masterpiece songs that I should listen to?
28.06.2021 - 14:08
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Very nice list. Lots of personal favorites in there too. The only criticism i have is that too many songs from the same bands makes it a tad redundant.

As for suggestion, you seem already quite knowledgeable of different genres, but i'll leave here a few nonetheless.

Ahab - Old Thunder
Anathema - One Last Goodbye/Sleepless/Fragile Dreams/A Simple Mistake
Arcturus - The Chaos Path
At The Gates - Slaugher of the Soul
Behemoth - O Father O Satan O Sun
Burzum - Dunkelheit
Candlemass - Solitude/Under the Oak/A Cry From the Crypt/At the Gallows End
Cradle of Filth - Funeral in Carpathia
Crimson Glory - Painted Skies/Where Dragon's Rule
Cult of Luna - Echoes/Leave Me Here/Lightchaser/Nightwalkers/Mute Departure
Dark Tranquillity - ThereIn
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison/Pull me Under
Edguy - Land of the Miracle
Electric Wizard - Funeralopolis
Emperor - Beyond the Great Vast Forest/Iam the Black Wizards/Into the Infinity of Thoughts
Enslaved - Isa/Havenless
Evoken - Descent Into Chaotic Dream
Gojira - Where Dragon Dwell
Gorgoroth - Sorg
Hypocrisy - Warpath
Iced Earth - The Hunter/Burning Times/Pure Evil/Damien
Kamelot - Center of the Universe
Katatonia - Day/For My Demons/Teargas/Evidence/In The White/Ambitions/Old Heart Falls
Mastodon - The Czar/Blood & Thunder
Mayhem - Freezing Moon/Life Eternal
Morbid Angel - Immortal Rites
Morgion - The Serpentine Scrolls
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans/Symphonaire Infernus Et Spera Emperium/The Crown of Sympathy
Neurosis - The Doorway/From The Hill
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black/Born/The River Dragon Has Come/Sentient 6
Nile - Unas Slayer of Gods
Pain of Salvation - Beyond the Pale
Paradise Lost - Beneath Broken Earth/As I Die/Gothic
Primordial - The Coffin Ships/Empire Falls
Queensryche - Silent Lucidity
Rotting Christ - Fgmeth Thy Gift/Cine Iubeste si Lasa
Royal Thunder - Time Machine
Sepultura - Dead Embryonic Cells/Troops of Doom
Symphony X - The Odyssey
System of a Down - Chop Suey!
Theatre of Tragedy - Cassandra
Therion - To Mega Therion
Type 0 Negative - Black Nº1
Watain - Malfeitor
While Heaven Wept - The Furthest Shore
Yob - Beauty in Falling Leaves
28.06.2021 - 14:26
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by [user id=104220] on 28.06.2021 at 14:08

As for suggestion, you seem already quite knowledgeable of different genres, but i'll leave here a few nonetheless.

Wow thanks for the many suggestions! I'll have to check these out
16.07.2021 - 17:01
blackwreath13
Wow, epic list!
16.07.2021 - 17:11
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by blackwreath13 on 16.07.2021 at 17:01

Wow, epic list!

Thanks! Would make a hell of a playlist, huh?
16.07.2021 - 19:41
blackwreath13
Written by F3ynman2000 on 16.07.2021 at 17:11

Written by blackwreath13 on 16.07.2021 at 17:01

Wow, epic list!

Thanks! Would make a hell of a playlist, huh?

Damn straight

(Mentally adds Powerslave title track)
16.07.2021 - 21:11
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by blackwreath13 on 16.07.2021 at 19:41

(Mentally adds Powerslave title track)

True. I could probably add at least 50 songs from albums that show up here, but I wanted to limit myself to two songs per album ... otherwise I'd just have entire discographies of Priest, Death, Maiden, etc
04.09.2021 - 17:32
Qualeen
Oh man I love these! My favourites on here would probably include Dissection's "Where Dead Angels Lie", Iron Maiden's "Hallowed be thy Name", Priest's "Painkiller", Entombed's "Left Hand Path", Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" and Slayer's "South of Heaven".

When it comes to suggestions, I apologize if you happen not to like what I'm about to recommend, but I *think* you might enjoy Batushka's "Pesn' 1" (I think that's how it's spelled), Overkill's "Playing With Spiders/Skullkrusher", Pestilence's "Out of the Body", "Melancholy (Holy Martyr)" by Iced Earth, and "Death and the Healing" by Wintersun.
----
So imminently visible - this cloaked innocent guilt
Sentenced to a lifetime, a second of structured chaos
Trampled by the ferocious, raging crowds of solitude
I'm the soil beneath me soaking up the sustenance of my own death.
[Meshuggah]
04.09.2021 - 17:48
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Qualeen on 04.09.2021 at 17:32

Oh man I love these! My favourites on here would probably include Dissection's "Where Dead Angels Lie", Iron Maiden's "Hallowed be thy Name", Priest's "Painkiller", Entombed's "Left Hand Path", Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" and Slayer's "South of Heaven".

Thanks! Yeah, those are indeed some of the best of the best!
Written by Qualeen on 04.09.2021 at 17:32

When it comes to suggestions, I apologize if you happen not to like what I'm about to recommend, but I *think* you might enjoy Batushka's "Pesn' 1" (I think that's how it's spelled), Overkill's "Playing With Spiders/Skullkrusher", Pestilence's "Out of the Body", "Melancholy (Holy Martyr)" by Iced Earth, and "Death and the Healing" by Wintersun.

Alright! I'll definitely check those out!
19.10.2021 - 22:58
aeeon
Account deleted
Well, very good list, I see that you have similar taste as Redel, you like old school metal, with the exception that you are not so deep into gothic/doom as he So it's different.
I agree that most of these songs are almost perfect, some here are specific, for example "The Jester Dance" is the most played song by me in the last 2 years. Short song, I repeated it often multiple times It'so simple, but too short. From Vektor I prefer "Accelerating Universe" as their best song.
Still most of your choices are very good, you even put "Exercises in Futility V" from Mgla, which is my favourite song from them. There are some songs that I miss here, considering your taste, for example, something from Obituary (I personally like Body Bag or I'm In Pain). From Ozzy Osbourne "Mr. Crowley" has more legendary solos for me, although Crazy Train is also a classic.
Generally solos from Beyond the Realms of Death, Tornado of Souls and Mr. Crowley are legendary. I also like solos from Testament "Over the Wall". perhaps much more to mention, but this is what I see now.
19.10.2021 - 23:33
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by [user id=280669] on 19.10.2021 at 22:58

Well, very good list, I see that you have similar taste as Redel, you like old school metal, with the exception that you are not so deep into gothic/doom as he So it's different.
I agree that most of these songs are almost perfect, some here are specific, for example "The Jester Dance" is the most played song by me in the last 2 years. Short song, I repeated it often multiple times It'so simple, but too short. From Vektor I prefer "Accelerating Universe" as their best song.
Still most of your choices are very good, you even put "Exercises in Futility V" from Mgla, which is my favourite song from them. There are some songs that I miss here, considering your taste, for example, something from Obituary (I personally like Body Bag or I'm In Pain). From Ozzy Osbourne "Mr. Crowley" has more legendary solos for me, although Crazy Train is also a classic.
Generally solos from Beyond the Realms of Death, Tornado of Souls and Mr. Crowley are legendary. I also like solos from Testament "Over the Wall". perhaps much more to mention, but this is what I see now.

Thanks for commenting! That's really interesting - I've never seen anyone else point out how awesome The Jester's Dance is - I'm not alone!
Yeah, I'm a fan of solos, so I'll have to check out Mr.Crowley. I'll also look into Obituary... I probably should make a list here on MS for all the albums that I need to listen to!
19.10.2021 - 23:36
aeeon
Account deleted
The main thing I like in Obituary (first three albums) is the groove and short, but incredible solos (James Murphy on "Cause of Death" especially, but he is good on second Cancer album as well).
31.10.2021 - 05:09
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by [user id=280669] on 19.10.2021 at 23:36

The main thing I like in Obituary (first three albums) is the groove and short, but incredible solos (James Murphy on "Cause of Death" especially, but he is good on second Cancer album as well).

Yeah I listened to Cause of Death. Great album! "Body Bag" is also my favorite track I think - like you said, great groove. I found the slow heavy riffs really relaxing to listen to
Yeah James Murphy is great on this and on Spiritual Healing!
01.11.2021 - 11:24
aeeon
Account deleted
Written by F3ynman2000 on 31.10.2021 at 05:09

Yeah I listened to Cause of Death. Great album! "Body Bag" is also my favorite track I think - like you said, great groove. I found the slow heavy riffs really relaxing to listen to

Nice. I always return to some songs of Obituary, usually don't listen the whole album, but just a couple of songs. Such classic old school sound. The End Complete is also very good album, similar to Cause of Death. I've seen them on yt playing all songs from this album (The End Complete) live (well, in some kind of "studio"), they had great fun.
23.06.2022 - 22:23
Redel
376 songs! Dude, this is getting out of hand.
For how long are you in, 12 months?
Where are we gonna be in another 12 months?
23.06.2022 - 22:44
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Redel on 23.06.2022 at 22:23

376 songs! Dude, this is getting out of hand.
For how long are you in, 12 months?
Where are we gonna be in another 12 months?

Haha yeah. I've stopped adding songs since May (Neurosis and Isis were the latest additions).
Not quite sure what to do with this list since I surely can't keep going like this, right?
I guess it can stay as a historical monument, just like my first article, to document the best songs that I had heard in my first year on Metal Storm
23.06.2022 - 22:49
Redel
Written by F3ynman2000 on 23.06.2022 at 22:44

Not quite sure what to do with this list since I surely can't keep going like this, right?

Let it rest and mature for some more time. You may want to return to it later and see if it can benefit from some updating and maybe focusing, as your listening experiences evolve over time.
27.03.2024 - 05:23
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well, this is quite cool. I like the idea of the list but I think you should revisit this concept into something more concise. Maybe like 50 all time favourite songs that you update if need be.

It would sure be super challenging to do.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.03.2024 - 08:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guib on 27.03.2024 at 05:23

Maybe like 50 all time favourite songs that you update if need be.

Yeah, I felt that too. So, let us collectively throw a challenge to him where he can optimize this list into "Top 50 favorite songs of all time".
27.03.2024 - 13:34
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Guib on 27.03.2024 at 05:23

Well, this is quite cool. I like the idea of the list but I think you should revisit this concept into something more concise. Maybe like 50 all time favourite songs that you update if need be.

Yeah, it's probably a good idea. I have been ignoring this list mostly because it's pretty outdated. If I updated it now, a lot of Iron Maiden and Metallica would disappear, I think

If it's limited to 50, should I also limit it to 1 song per album?

Hits total: 2562 | This month: 22