Rob Halford - vocals
Glenn Tipton - guitars
Richie Faulkner - guitars
Scott Travis - drums
Ian Hill - bass

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Invincible Shield is to Firepower what Defenders Of The Faith was to Screaming For Vengeance: reaffirmation of the recovery, capitalization on the success, the follow-through on a trailblazer. Judas Priest, as ever, delivering the greats.

Read more ››
published 16.04.2024 | Comments (12)

A band with absolutely nothing to prove to anyone releases one of the best albums in their incredible career, 50 whole years after their debut. Next time someone tells you that you should lower your expectations and just be grateful when a legacy band puts out new music, even when that music is objectively subpar/shite, slap them in the face with this album.

Invincible Judas Priest.

nikarg's picks | More picks ››

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 70   Visited by: 865 users
15.12.2023 - 18:15
After the release of the single Trial by Fire, The flight is still successful , So Far, So good... SO LET'S ROCK \m/
19.01.2024 - 11:43
Rating: 9
ChrisWinther94
Had heard both “Panic Attack” and “Trial by Fire”, and now the new single “Crown of Horns” and damn it I’m excited! The new song has a “Point of Entry” Vibe to it, and it sounds great!

Top Releases of 2024
07.03.2024 - 19:16
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Looks like they've done it again. Impressive.
08.03.2024 - 04:16
lemme
It can be album of the year. The priest is back!
08.03.2024 - 08:06
Oldy86
This is a fantastic album. Not sure if I'll end up bumping it to a 9 yet though. I don't think I love it as much as I loved FIREPOWER on first listen
08.03.2024 - 09:22
Rating: 10
MegaTornado
It's a great album, anyway better then any modern metal band album, but Fire Power it's just more majestic.
08.03.2024 - 09:32
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi
It's pretty good, just some regular heavy metal. Nothing special.
08.03.2024 - 10:06
Nejde
CommunityManager
We all know that the spamming of 10s will begin during the day but with one playthrough I can immediately say that this album is not a 10 and never will be. Claiming that this album is or will be a masterpiece like Painkiller is just ridiculous. It's definitely a good album and Halford sounds rejuvenated. Keep in mind that the man turns 73 this year, so I'm quite impressed by the vocals. Comparing this album to the rest of their discography (which is unavoidable), I'd say that this is a solid 7 if I'll rate it. Not bad in any way, but not outstanding either.
08.03.2024 - 10:52
nikarg
Staff
I hoped that Firepower would be their final album, because it was too great for words. I am glad it wasn't, because Invincible Shield is awesome too. After one listen, it may not leave you as flabbergasted as Firepower did, but I think it is probably because Firepower came out of nowhere, and it was a surprise, while, with this one, we all suspected/expected it would be very good. The guitar melodies and solos are the Priest we all love (I genuinely believe that Richie really saved the band), and Rob is fucking phenomenal on this. I can even hear Ian, which is very nice. There are references to other previous albums, like Easter eggs in a way, and I very much love this. I have the feeling that this will be a massive grower for all Priest fans; it definitely makes me want to hit "replay", when it finishes.

Fanboy mode on:
"Crown Of Horns" is the autobiographical anthem of the one and only Metal God; the album was worth releasing for this song alone. Judas Priest is the greatest heavy metal band of all time, and they have a new album that kicks ass. Metalheads, rejoice and celebrate
/Fanboy mode off.
08.03.2024 - 11:45
vlad.leonte
Really strong album, very enjoyable from the first listen.

LE: After more that 1 week on heavy rotation I can say this is one of their best. It covers all areas that Priest went in the past: faster thrashier songs, mid paced rockers with everything wrapped in memorable melodies. Rob's voice still rocks as hell. Strong contender for ATOY for sure.
08.03.2024 - 12:16
Rating: 7
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Halford's voice sounds surprisingly fresh, some good ideas on solos and bridges, quite a nice album. On the other hand, the full length is pretty generic
----
08.03.2024 - 13:43
Rage10000
Nikarg, I agree with everything you said. Including the fan boy stuff. I was so excited to hit play this morning that I felt like my 13 year old (1984) self again.
08.03.2024 - 15:44
Rating: 8
Loving what I hear. Great that JP still pushing out music and damn, Rob's still got the pipes. Won't compare to Firepower much, I'm just very glad they still deliver good rocking albums. I'm sure to learn the riffs from this album as well. GOOD SHIT
08.03.2024 - 17:41
A Real Mönkey
Aside from losing some steam after Trial By Fire (and As God Is My Witness being the definition of filler) I don’t really have any complaints. Very very solid JP, even without the WOW factor that Firepower had.

Even the bonus tracks are bangers. The Lodger is so good. VENGEANCE IS MIIIINNNNEEE
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
08.03.2024 - 17:44
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by nikarg on 08.03.2024 at 10:52

The guitar melodies and solos are the Priest we all love (I genuinely believe that Richie really saved the band), and Rob is fucking phenomenal on this. I can even hear Ian, which is very nice.

This is absolutely spot on, especially about Richie and Rob. I might even go out on a limb and say it could be better than Firepower.

And as for Ian, he mentioned at a Q&A with the band that I was at last Saturday that most of his bass parts were recorded on Andy Sneap's laptop in hotel rooms on their last tour! Incredible stuff.
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
08.03.2024 - 19:04
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Good ol' Judas Priest! Still so much fun! A lot of great songs here, but I want to highlight "Escape from Reality" (AGONY! ESCAPE FROM REALITY! BRINGS YOU DOWN!) and "Sons of Thunder"(LET'S RIDE! ALL NIGHT! SONS OF THUNDER! SONS OF THUNDER!), which I've been having on loop for a while already!

Rob sounds incredible and the guitars are absolutely lovely as well. Is it just me or does this album have kind of a "Stained Class meets Firepower" vibe about it?

Edit: OK, I think "Panic Attack" is the best song here! Great choice for the opening song!
08.03.2024 - 21:19
ChrisWinther94
Written by nikarg on 08.03.2024 at 10:52

I hoped that Firepower would be their final album, because it was too great for words. I am glad it wasn't, because Invincible Shield is awesome too. After one listen, it may not leave you as flabbergasted as Firepower did, but I think it is probably because Firepower came out of nowhere, and it was a surprise, while, with this one, we all suspected/expected it would be very good. The guitar melodies and solos are the Priest we all love (I genuinely believe that Richie really saved the band), and Rob is fucking phenomenal on this. I can even hear Ian, which is very nice. There are references to other previous albums, like Easter eggs in a way, and I very much love this. I have the feeling that this will be a massive grower for all Priest fans; it definitely makes me want to hit "replay", when it finishes.

Fanboy mode on:
"Crown Of Horns" is the autobiographical anthem of the one and only Metal God; the album was worth releasing for this song alone. Judas Priest is the greatest heavy metal band of all time, and they have a new album that kicks ass. Metalheads, rejoice and celebrate
/Fanboy mode off.

Dude this is totally how I feel as well, I was just explaining my feelings towards the album to my buddy In almost those exact words. This album is awesome, and far beyond what you could expect from a band at this time In their career. But yeah, Firepower was a ride but also a whole different situation.

Top Releases of 2024
08.03.2024 - 21:28
Hazel2143141
Very very good sounds like old Judas Priest somehow after all these years lol
08.03.2024 - 22:35
Nicko's Nose
Even better than Firepower.
08.03.2024 - 23:41
Nicko's Nose
Written by A Real Mönkey on 08.03.2024 at 17:41

(and As God Is My Witness being the definition of filler)

Lol that was probably my favorite song on first listen.
09.03.2024 - 00:21
Blackcrowe
Yes Firepower was their last great record this one is good and fair
----
Maybe as his eyes are wide.
09.03.2024 - 03:04
RoyBoy432
Dr. Quark
Written by Oldy86 on 08.03.2024 at 08:06

This is a fantastic album. Not sure if I'll end up bumping it to a 9 yet though. I don't think I love it as much as I loved FIREPOWER on first listen

Same. I could see Invincible Shield becoming a 9 for me depending how much I keep replaying it through the rest of the year, but it also might turn out that it's only a smaller number of songs that really stick with me and it remains an 8 for me.
09.03.2024 - 03:07
A Real Mönkey
Written by Nicko's Nose on 08.03.2024 at 23:41

(and As God Is My Witness being the definition of filler)

Lol that was probably my favorite song on first listen.

It's not a bad song, just unremarkable, especially considering it's sandwiched between two of the best songs on the album. It's pretty much the Flamethrower of this album.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
09.03.2024 - 07:47
24emd
Theory Snob
Nice listen considering these guys can actually write songs unlike the derivative albums coming out every week. Really enjoyed the solos in particular.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
09.03.2024 - 10:26
nikarg
Staff

Even the bonus tracks are bangers. The Lodger is so good. VENGEANCE IS MIIIINNNNEEE

This is so true. "The Lodger" is among my favourite songs.

Ok, I played the album around a dozen times yesterday. I never thought I could say this, but I am fairly confident that it is even better than Firepower. Martin Popoff who is a legend, recently reviewed it and said that it's Priest's best album since Hell Bent For Leather (Killing Machine). Now, I wouldn't go as far as to say that, but Invincible Shield is unbelievably good.
09.03.2024 - 14:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Judas Priest Releases Lyric Videos For All 14 Songs From 'Invincible Shield'

https://blabbermouth.net/news/judas-priest-releases-lyric-videos-for-all-14-songs-from-invincible-shield

They all are in MS thanks to Yaniv

Dont get why band do it, does they get soem money from all lyric videos? People will buy or pre order album anyway, (even illegal downloaded) what's the point?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2024 - 15:23
JoHn Doe
Written by Bad English on 09.03.2024 at 14:06

https://blabbermouth.net/news/judas-priest-releases-lyric-videos-for-all-14-songs-from-invincible-shield

Dont get why band do it, does they get soem money from all lyric videos? People will buy or pre order album anyway, (even illegal downloaded) what's the point?

It's simple promotion. There are people that watch videos, probably in more online places than I know.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
09.03.2024 - 15:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by JoHn Doe on 09.03.2024 at 15:23

Written by Bad English on 09.03.2024 at 14:06

It's simple promotion. There are people that watch videos, probably in more online places than I know.

I never watch lyric videos, I listen to those, I like official music videos from old days as MTV start it.
Think I like about lyric videos , now on official YT channels they put lyrics under, its good.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2024 - 15:46
Crawltipede
It's hard to believe that an aging band can still create such a solid album today. Although there is nothing amazing compared to the previous album, Rob Halford, who is in his seventies, is amazing enough in his own right
----
I will regret nothing.
09.03.2024 - 20:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Fantastic album to end a legendary career on, great to see Priest still going strong even after 50 (!!!) years with 3 of the same members still in the band.

Hits total: 17547 | This month: 480