Metal Storm logo
Katatonia - To Release 'The Great Cold Distance' 10th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

Katatonia celebrated the 10th anniversary of their landmark album, The Great Cold Distance, with an exclusive show in Bulgaria. The band was joined by the renowned Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra on their first set, playing the entire album from start to finish. But that is not all they are doing to celebrate The Great Cold Distance. In fact, they will release a 10th Anniversary 4 disc Deluxe Edition of the record plus a double gatefold LP version. This special live performance will be available on the release.

This year marks not only the band's 25th anniversary but also 10 years since the release of their Peaceville album, The Great Cold Distance. Now the band is set to reissue this classic album on special edition CD and vinyl. Founding guitarist Anders Nyström comments: "Looking back at our set lists from a historic perspective, it dawned on us that there's been no other album from which we played more songs than The Great Cold Distance, so in the light of its 10th anniversary this year, it's with much pride and joy to announce the ultimate edition featuring all the scattered bits and pieces related to this album."

Originally released in 2006, The Great Cold Distance, their seventh studio album, was recorded and mixed at Fascination Street, Örebro Sweden, produced by Nyström/Renkse on and co-produced, mixed and engineered by Jens Bogren and David Castillo. The album featured 3 singles, now classic Katatonia songs - "My Twin", "July" and "Deliberation". Vocalist Jonas Renkse, at the time of the album's release stated: "While embracing this album one must know that it will only help to increase the coldness between us. It's a devious life. And this is a soundtrack to it."

The new 4 disc deluxe hardback 40 page book edition of the album, to be released on 20th January 2017, will include 3 bonus discs featuring b-sides and bonus songs, a new 5.1 remix of the album by Bruce Soord (Wisdom Of Crowds) and a live album of Katatonia playing The Great Cold Distance in its entirety with the renowned Plovdiv Philharmonic Orchestra in Bulgaria, performed in September 2016. The design of this essential 10th anniversary edition has once again been taken care of by long time collaborator Travis Smith.

The double gatefold LP version of the original album is set for release on 9th December, and includes the b-sides and bonus songs.

Source: katatonia.com
Band profile: Katatonia
Posted: 23.10.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 4   Visited by: 83 users
23.10.2016 - 20:22
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
I love what they did to Viva Emptiness but I don't think there's a lot to improve on this album. Viva had some problems with production which they fixed on the 10th anniversary edition but this album sounds great already. Anyway, nice to see some love for what I think is the pinnacle of Katatonia's career.
23.10.2016 - 21:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
"Fixed" is a very weird way of spelling "ruined".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.10.2016 - 22:42
JayMo4
If they're going to start doing this with more than one album, it'd be nice to get a Brave Murder Day where the drums have some oomph to them. Great album except for that one small issue.
24.10.2016 - 12:20
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
It's just that apparently everyone is doing a 5.1 remix these days.

This is album is a masterpiece though. I'm glad they played several songs off of it in Lisbon. I would also like to have that show in Bulgaria.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram

Hits total: 3742 | This month: 6