Metal Storm logo
First Guitar

12.04.2013 - 19:12
R Lewis
Hi to everybody. For my 18th birthday (tomorrow yuppiyeee) my parents are giving me an electric guitar. Can anybody give me some piece of advice, like which brand, or a particular kind of guitars, or stuff like that? Consider that I'm a beginner, I started just from a month...
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
14.04.2013 - 17:05
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
You can not go wrong with Ibanez. Any of their RG models are fantastic. They range from $300-900 in the states for a standard model.

I play and own a mahogany rg321 and an rgr321ex in piano black (with inverted headstock) an their both amazing guitars. They both retail for $600.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.04.2013 - 23:29
R Lewis
Written by Boxcar Willy on 14.04.2013 at 17:05

You can not go wrong with Ibanez. Any of their RG models are fantastic. They range from $300-900 in the states for a standard model.

Thanks a lot! BTW, I bought a standard, beautiful (and cheap) Epiphone Les Paul:

I like it pretty much, I know it's simple, but it's at the same time cool (and M3tLA)
----
16.04.2013 - 23:44
ANGEL REAPER
You could save a lot of cash by buying Career (Korean brand as it turned out) gutar...its the first one i bought ever,started playing on it, and i still play on it .... it costs around 60 euros...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
16.04.2013 - 23:48
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by R Lewis on 16.04.2013 at 23:29

Written by Boxcar Willy on 14.04.2013 at 17:05

Thanks a lot! BTW, I bought a standard, beautiful (and cheap) Epiphone Les Paul:

I like it pretty much, I know it's simple, but it's at the same time cool (and M3tLA)

Nice! I like the lower end Epi's because of all the upgrades available.

Let me know how it goes!
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.04.2013 - 00:43
Sunioj
Nice looking guitar. Get used to the shape so that one day you can get a 70's vintage Gibson SG and play dem osdm'z
19.04.2013 - 22:05
R Lewis
Written by Sunioj on 17.04.2013 at 00:43

Nice looking guitar. Get used to the shape so that one day you can get a 70's vintage Gibson SG and play dem osdm'z

1 - Thanks a lot
2 - I don't know if I'll ever get enough skilled to deserve that guitar
2 - I don't know if I'll ever have enough cash to afford that guitar
----
19.04.2013 - 22:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by R Lewis on 19.04.2013 at 22:05

1 - Thanks a lot

Haha, well around here you can find a good used SG for $700-900. Look for one that's a litte rough, or that has been gigged. I just saw one for $400 that had some buckle rash.

Too bad I'm broke right now. I'd love a nice SG.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
19.04.2013 - 22:21
Sunioj
Written by R Lewis on 19.04.2013 at 22:05

1 - Thanks a lot

Who says you need cash? You can always go to a gig and throw a large objects at a guitarists head and run off with their guitar. You would need an exit strategy, but we can figure that out later!

Though in all honesty, with the right tweaking you can probably make that guitar sound great. I still have my $400 bass from almost 10 years ago and I worship the thing.
03.05.2013 - 11:04
akvan
Hello guys , i wanna buy a guitar to start , i have about 500 $ , what do u suggest ? i think ibanez s series are good , i like prs custom 24 but it's expensive ,for progressive death, which pickup is good ? s540 is the only s with emg pick ups ?are prestige models made in japan only ? and a multi effect about 70$ ,want to create different sounds ,tnx
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
03.05.2013 - 17:32
Malphas
If you have 0 experience and are just starting out, i wouldn't suggest spending all of your 500$ and going for active electronics or EMGs, even a 80$ squier will do till you do some exercises for your fingers and get down your scales and stuff. You'd probably do best by looking closer into Ibanez, Epiphone, or if you are looking to go straight to metal (like you mentioned progressive death) and are not just starting out and trying to see if playing guitar could be something for you, so that if things work out then in about a year's time you'll get a better guitar...well then i'd suggest looking into Jackson guitars
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
03.05.2013 - 22:35
Sunioj
I second that, get something basic and build your technique before venturing into the fancier, more expensive stuff. Definitely can't go wrong with an Ibanez though especially as a beginner one.
04.05.2013 - 20:17
nasmith
Last September my parents got me a black Davison 6-string (full sized) in a starter pack with an amp (which wan't so full sized ... but still had a surprisingly loud sound) from Amazon.com. (See pics here.)It was for Christmas and my birthday (which was in January), but they got it early since it was a freaking good deal ($79.97 + $20 shipping).

On Christmas (but also carrying over as my Birthday present), my sister and brother-in-law got me a Behringer HD300 Heavy Distortion box that worked damn well until the past week when the battery finally died. (Planning to find a new battery soon.) But it helped the tone quite a bit, and made it where I could play at high distortion without turning the amp volume up to max (and pressing the on/off button for overdrive, since the amp doesn't have an actual knob for drive) and pissing off my parents and the neighbors (as much fun as that is ). They didn't tell me how much it cost, but probably $100 or less.

If you went for a used instrument and/or amp and/or fuzz box, you could probably find them for about $100 total if you looked hard enough, but they'd probably sound crappier than new starter ones though lol
12.05.2013 - 03:18
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
If your just starting playing guitar, there's no way in hell you'll be playing progressive death.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
09.12.2014 - 11:43
_deepblack
Hey Guys i got a Yamaha ERG 121 i think it discontinued in 2000's im playing for 2.5 3 years now wanna purchase something else and i got about 800$ max thinking about PRS 7 String 24 or PRS SE 24 or Gibson LPM or LTD EC-1000 Dmz BLK any ideas
18.12.2014 - 21:39
MrClansman1
Hi there! If you want to purchase better quality guitar for less money I would recommend you Cort brand. Sorry, but I don't know nothing 'bout the PRS 7 or SE 24... The best way is to try them out in some music shop nearby your city. I have Cort X-11, I'm glad for this one... good value for money and 2years ago I upgraded my guitar with new seymour duncan InVader SH-8 pickups in Prague.. sounds better than the original one... But if I could make my own model then it would be somehow like that> 6-string, prefer shorter scale length (let's say 24.75, but it depends on what would you like mostly to play with your guitar). Definitely neck thru body for better sustain, full mahogany body. From the pickups I would go for EMG, Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio. I read lots of 'bout them, but unfortunately I had a chance to play only in above mentioned SD. I definitely must try out DiMarzio and some EMG as well... god, I must find a job in music shop!
03.08.2015 - 16:49
cassielin
I do not want to buy expensive guitars, the best price range is between $500-700