Metal Storm logo
Soloing

04.10.2006 - 10:06
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
I've just had a quick look at the topics to find their is no real post on soloing. so here it is, a forum to talk about solos, writing solos, and just everytinhg got to do with soloing.
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
04.10.2006 - 10:08
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i would like to pose the question to all those guitarists out there:

What IS a solo in your opinion???
----
04.10.2006 - 10:39
Winter Death
Account deleted
I suppose a solo would be an opportunity for a guitarist (or any musician for that matter) to bust out of the rhythmic and/or harmonic constructs of a song to convey new ideas in an elaborate (or subtle) way. I suppose this could could be one of many interpretations.
04.10.2006 - 14:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i've been recently starting to shred on guitar pro 5,and i gotta tell you,it maybe hard as hell to design a good solo there,but the best idea would be to plug your guitar in the midi port and start jamming,and the notes will appear on the tab,or maybe you can record yourself jamming and sticking to a good idea that you started on there
05.10.2006 - 01:41
Soliloquy
Written by Valentin B on 04.10.2006 at 14:48

i've been recently starting to shred on guitar pro 5,and i gotta tell you,it maybe hard as hell to design a good solo there,but the best idea would be to plug your guitar in the midi port and start jamming,and the notes will appear on the tab,or maybe you can record yourself jamming and sticking to a good idea that you started on there

wait, so if we play something for guitar pro, it will tab it for you automatically?
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
05.10.2006 - 02:46
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
ive just downloaded the trial version of guitar pro 5, how do i connect my guitar to the computer and start playing so it tabs it for me??
----
05.10.2006 - 12:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
http://downloads.guitar-pro.com/gp5.1/GuitarPro_EN.pdf and go to page 49,i'm not sure how it's done,but if you have a midi instrument(keyboard at least works) and i think you need version 5.1,as i tried the audio settings thingie and it doesn't appear.anyway i don't think it's in the trial version,but the programmers wouldn't fool you like that,saying there's this feature that you can't actually use
05.10.2006 - 14:56
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
about the main subject I think a solo is a part of the song where the guitarist or any other instrument player gets a volume raise and starts playing his best stuff or any good stuff thats far from the main rythm\theme of the song.........
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
05.10.2006 - 15:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i generally use the scale of the song for the solos,not too different from the main melody
05.10.2006 - 16:43
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
I am so selfish. I love solos and my band gets bitchy so I make sure there is a fair share of everything. Besides being the only girl showing up to the guys well... But I love my band
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
06.10.2006 - 08:37
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i find that learning solos from great guiarists, helps a lot in finding about how scales are used to write solos. Ive learnt the Stairway to Heaven solo, back in black and highway to hell solos. they have all helped me to learn more about writing solos and stuff about scales. I encourage everyone out there to learn solos!!! Do it!
----
06.10.2006 - 12:07
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
Written by Valentin B on 05.10.2006 at 15:20

i generally use the scale of the song for the solos,not too different from the main melody

I didn't mean that a solo uses a different scale (although mostly it does) but I meant that it should differ from what is usually played in the song, get it
----

06.10.2006 - 12:18
Valentin B
Iconoclast
hey,i was just expressing my thought on soloing,sure it has to differ a lot from the main rhythm,but i'm just beginning,and that's what i do for now
08.10.2006 - 00:40
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
thats cool man......no hard feelings, Rock on
----

06.11.2006 - 00:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I mainly use scalework, Avagotos, and arpegios when I solo.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
06.11.2006 - 17:43
Too many fail.
Whats an avagoto , an interval progression?
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
06.11.2006 - 23:44
Twist
Twisted Kid
I have studied music theory since I was 7 and I haven't ever heard of avagoto. I even did some research,didn't find anything about it. What is it?
----
Is this where we suffer LOL
07.11.2006 - 00:41
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, it's almost like an Arpegio, where you take a chord and play back and forth, but instead of hitting each string and returning to the begining of the chord, You Go a whole step back and forth between each string untill you've finished the chord.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

19.11.2006 - 10:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
a whole step between each string?
like this?:
e--5-----------------3---------
b----5-------------3---1-------
g------5----------3------1-----
d--------7------5----------3---
a---------5---5-------------3--
e-----------5----------------1-
20.11.2006 - 23:41
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Valentin B on 19.11.2006 at 10:04

a whole step between each string?
like this?:
e--5-----------------3---------
b----5-------------3---1-------
g------5----------3------1-----
d--------7------5----------3---
a---------5---5-------------3--
e-----------5----------------1-

Uh, no, I wish I could better describe it, but I don't know how to type out tabliture.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

07.07.2008 - 23:01
Kโœžulu
Seeker of Truth
holy crap, no posts for a year and a half. How come, people? Is everyone except me is a solo master? So, can anyone give me advice on how to improve the skill of soloing, namely the speed and writing them? Maybe there some good exercises that you people know could improve the speed?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.07.2008 - 01:49
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Kโœžulu on 07.07.2008 at 23:01

holy crap, no posts for a year and a half. How come, people? Is everyone except me is a solo master? So, can anyone give me advice on how to improve the skill of soloing, namely the speed and writing them? Maybe there some good exercises that you people know could improve the speed?

at first, you must explain what skills you have?
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
08.07.2008 - 07:27
Kโœžulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Varegan on 08.07.2008 at 01:49

I would put it this way: the next solo I would like to master would the fast Master of Puppets solo, but I still have to clue how to play that fast... So I am very basic. So I wonder what should I do?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.06.2009 - 20:38
leper-Messiah
Account deleted
I have only been playin since christmas, but can already play a few metallica songs, like seek and destroy, unforgiven and creeping death apart from solos. what is a good first solo to start on? and good full song to play- apart from smoke on the water
18.06.2009 - 02:48
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Anyone got any good techniques, I've been playing guitar for 13 years but cannot solo. I'm a good rythm but the limit of my solo skills are th intro melodies to One, Fade to Black and Welcome Home.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
20.08.2009 - 22:28
Throne
I have been playing guitar for about 4 years. I would say a solo is something that is designed to be used to obtain attention throughout the various sections of the songs. They mainly get respect from musicians themselves, but the best written solos are the ones that even your grandmother can get stuck in here head. Check out my old band, I play my share of solos. www.myspace.com/theageofdusk
20.08.2009 - 22:32
Throne
And there is no such explaination for Avagotos....wtf is that. I've never heard of this magic
20.08.2009 - 23:43
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
A solo is what heaven sounds like:banger2:
29.08.2009 - 16:47
Panterica
Written by Kโœžulu on 08.07.2008 at 07:27

Written by Varegan on 08.07.2008 at 01:49

I would put it this way: the next solo I would like to master would the fast Master of Puppets solo, but I still have to clue how to play that fast... So I am very basic. So I wonder what should I do?

There are many ways to improve your solo skills:
Play fast the notes of the scale you want to work on in different positions, than you can do the same thing with a small change - Play three notes forward and then one backward. I know it sound confusing so I'll try to tab it for
(Minor scale in first position)
e:----------------------------------------------------------------------------5-5-7-5-7-8
b:----------------------------------------------------------5-5-6-5-6-8-6-8-8-----------
g:----------------------------------------4-4-5-4-5-7-5-7-7-----------------------------
d:-----------------------------5-5-7-5-7-7-----------------------------------------------
a:-----------5-5-7-5-7-8-7-8-8----------------------------------------------------------
e:5-7-8-7-8-8----------------------------------------------------------------------------
After that you can do the same just from the opposite direction - go down three notes than one up and down again...You can do the same on arpeggio.
I hope some of you will find it helpful.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
23.11.2009 - 13:53
Angel Of Mercy
I like harmonic minor keys.
----
Your time will come.