Metal Storm logo
Soloing

Original post

Posted by BurbotsRevenge, 04.10.2006 - 10:06
I've just had a quick look at the topics to find their is no real post on soloing. so here it is, a forum to talk about solos, writing solos, and just everytinhg got to do with soloing.
23.01.2010 - 21:45
Entropic Silence

Written by K✞ulu on 08.07.2008 at 07:27

I would put it this way: the next solo I would like to master would the fast Master of Puppets solo, but I still have to clue how to play that fast... So I am very basic. So I wonder what should I do?

Im a fan of modal playing when soloing - makes it a bit different. And the whole-half scale. Its a beast to work with, but its so wonderfully weird.

If you want to play fast, play slow. Grab the tab of a fast song and oh dear god play it as slow as you need to to get it right. Speed in solos should be a natural progression - if you try and force it, it won't work out. And I hate to say it but practice practice practice.

After you learn one or two fast solos you tend to get the idea. I wouldn't bother learning more than that. I tend to improvise solos more than learn them nowadays. More fun and more challenging.

And don't get hung up if you cant get the fast stuff straight away. Professional musicians have a lot more time to spend playing guitar that normal people, and most of the fast guys are that good because they make use of it.

Scales and arpeggios are your friend. Play in thirds, fourths, whatever tickles your fancy. But play them.

That help?
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
22.03.2010 - 00:40
whatsacow

Written by Entropic Silence on 23.01.2010 at 21:45

I would put it this way: the next solo I would like to master would the fast Master of Puppets solo, but I still have to clue how to play that fast... So I am very basic. So I wonder what should I do?

Im a fan of modal playing when soloing - makes it a bit different. And the whole-half scale. Its a beast to work with, but its so wonderfully weird.

If you want to play fast, play slow. Grab the tab of a fast song and oh dear god play it as slow as you need to to get it right. Speed in solos should be a natural progression - if you try and force it, it won't work out. And I hate to say it but practice practice practice.

After you learn one or two fast solos you tend to get the idea. I wouldn't bother learning more than that. I tend to improvise solos more than learn them nowadays. More fun and more challenging.

And don't get hung up if you cant get the fast stuff straight away. Professional musicians have a lot more time to spend playing guitar that normal people, and most of the fast guys are that good because they make use of it.

Scales and arpeggios are your friend. Play in thirds, fourths, whatever tickles your fancy. But play them.

That help?

modal playing is awesome, especially when you know how to mix and merge modes together.
also, whenever learning ANYTHING, make sure you have your distortion switched off, as distortion tends to cover up your mistakes. add no othe effects, and record yourself often. You'll hate what you sound like and be able to fix up mistakes you would never have picked up on.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
22.03.2010 - 10:28
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by whatsacow on 22.03.2010 at 00:40

That help?

modal playing is awesome, especially when you know how to mix and merge modes together.
also, whenever learning ANYTHING, make sure you have your distortion switched off, as distortion tends to cover up your mistakes. add no othe effects, and record yourself often. You'll hate what you sound like and be able to fix up mistakes you would never have picked up on.

imo distortion doesn't clean up your mistakes, it only makes them more audible like my former guitar teacher said(not the exact wording but i tried to preserve the sense of the phrase): "if you play on an acoustic, when you make a mistake, it's a muffin. when you play on electric and make a mistake, it's a wedding cake"

i know that for a fact that when i started playing on electric with my shitty amp's overdrive, it sounded like i was doing everything wrong. only then i realized how sloppy my playing actually was(that was 3 and a half years ago).
22.03.2010 - 23:57
whatsacow

Written by Valentin B on 22.03.2010 at 10:28

Written by whatsacow on 22.03.2010 at 00:40

That help?

imo distortion doesn't clean up your mistakes, it only makes them more audible like my former guitar teacher said(not the exact wording but i tried to preserve the sense of the phrase): "if you play on an acoustic, when you make a mistake, it's a muffin. when you play on electric and make a mistake, it's a wedding cake"

i know that for a fact that when i started playing on electric with my shitty amp's overdrive, it sounded like i was doing everything wrong. only then i realized how sloppy my playing actually was(that was 3 and a half years ago).

I'm talking about minor mistakes, not major ones. if your hitting b whan your supposed to be hitting an f, than yeah, its gonna sound worse.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
14.05.2010 - 07:20
spiritofvengence

Something I don't understand...

Every guitar teacher (and I do mean everyone) I've been to or whose videos I have looked up online have always said the same thing - start with the pentatonic scale to create solos...but no one in the metal-scene (aka. this web-site and youtubers) has any respect for the guitarist who plays pentatonic scales!

So what the fuck do I do?
----
I'd rather like what I like because I like it, despite if everyone hates me for it, then like what I hate just to be accepted by you.
10.06.2010 - 19:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
For me, who never had lessons, knew theory, or anything else, solos were a very hard thing for me to learn. Only sheer perseverence in wishing to play solos improved my lead playing. I play by ear, and for many years had no access to tabs. I used to improvise a lot with solos, maybe not play the exact solo, but always tried to find notes that fitted the rhythm. Now, I try more to play the solo exactly how it is, although I still have a tendency to improvise on occassions. I just try and let it flow, and not worry too much about making mistakes and so on. For me, its always been about trial and error anyways. If I make a mistake, Im always aware, and try not to do the same thing again. Im not great at solos, but I think Im adequate enough. And I always play with a lot of passion and feeling, which makes up a little for my lack of technical skill I guess. lol
16.07.2010 - 10:22
k1tu

I'm a self learned man...Never went to any musical schools or so...So I've just progressed myself...Have been playing for about 5 years now...I like more of blues like solos that I just start combining and I tend to Improvise a lot with different tempos and scales or noisy solos that many people wouldn't even consider solos...They just sound like a lot of cool noises put together...
22.07.2010 - 06:30
whatsacow

When soloing with darker, more exotic sounding songs, i have been using the chromatic scale and basing it off the diminished apeggio (Which is just starting from your base note and playing the note three semitones away.) You can get some great and really eerie sounds from it.
----