Metal Storm logo
Non-Satanic Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Sulac, 14.09.2010 - 22:48
I apologize if this has been asked before, but what are some good, non-Satanic black metal bands?
Please don't write comments about how stupid it is not to listen to certain bands just because they're Satanic.
Some bands I've already heard that I've liked are Negator, Antestor, Cradle Of Filth (they're not terribly Satanic), Graveworm, and Frost Like Ashes and Bal-Sagoth. I'm particularly interested in symphonic black metal but I like straight-up stuff like Darkthrone as well.
Thanks!
11.03.2012 - 14:48
Vombatus
Potorro
I don't understand why Shining would be ridiculous... BM usually touches themes that are controversial, deviant, offensive, individual or whatever you want to call them... like self-mutilation. And Satanism is just one among them.

All unblack isn't about creating inoffensive BM. Music wise, they sound perfectly BM. For lyrics, take Horde. They are exactly the same as any "trve satanic" band, except that you replace Satan with God, pentagram with cross, etc... and it must be somehow offensive if people like you bitch about it

But meh, I'm of those that think lyrics are useless and prefer concentrating on the music (it's all the point of listening to metal)... I find it sad to be embittered by such and irrelevant topic.
11.03.2012 - 16:43
DJ Mythos
Written by Vombatus on 11.03.2012 at 14:48

I don't understand why Shining would be ridiculous... BM usually touches themes that are controversial, deviant, offensive, individual or whatever you want to call them... like self-mutilation. And Satanism is just one among them.

All unblack isn't about creating inoffensive BM. Music wise, they sound perfectly BM. For lyrics, take Horde. They are exactly the same as any "trve satanic" band, except that you replace Satan with God, pentagram with cross, etc... and it must be somehow offensive if people like you bitch about it

But meh, I'm of those that think lyrics are useless and prefer concentrating on the music (it's all the point of listening to metal)... I find it sad to be embittered by such and irrelevant topic.

Irrelevant?!

To me, the irrelevant perspective comes from a person who just vapidly listens to this music without giving two squirts what it's about, as though Horde and Burzum are interchangeable. Is Whitney Houston the same as Glen Benton? Is metal the same as gospel? Does anything mean anything?!
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
11.03.2012 - 16:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I agree with Vom for the most part. I take my music seriously but not that serious. :/ Besides, depressive black metal is one of my favorite genres, and a vast majority of the lyrical content focuses on pretty much anything other than Satan.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.03.2012 - 17:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by DJ Mythos on 11.03.2012 at 16:43
To me, the irrelevant perspective comes from a person who just vapidly listens to this music without giving two squirts what it's about, as though Horde and Burzum are interchangeable. Is Whitney Houston the same as Glen Benton? Is metal the same as gospel? Does anything mean anything?!

Hah, so you are saying the only way to listen to music is by paying attention to the lyrics. Sorry pal but no one is better at enjoying music than another. That's just stupid arrogance.

I love how you say "bastardation" like if the so called Unblack metal bands were killing the scene... Which is of course laughable considering how most (if not all of them) are underground bands. I don't know a single well known black metal band with christian lyrics that broke it past the underground and the reason is EXACTLY the reason you dislike them so much and yet you say they are killing black metal. big lols.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.03.2012 at 16:49
I take my music seriously but not that serious. :/

It's not about taking the music more seriously or not than the next guy... Is just that you take it seriously in a different way.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.03.2012 - 17:11
DJ Mythos
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.03.2012 at 17:00

Hah, so you are saying the only way to listen to music is by paying attention to the lyrics. Sorry pal but no one is better at enjoying music than another. That's just stupid arrogance.

Lyrics are just one element. It's THEME that I'm talking about, and that includes everything from the lyrics to the sound to the album art. Black metal was created in a certrain time and place, and with specific aims. The roots of SDBM are in the early Norwegian scene. Even NS black metal has its place, as nationalism was always a huge part of bands like Burzum. But Christianity has no place in black metal. And if you think I'm just being cruel to Christians, not so. I suggested doom. Many early doom bands were Christian. So Christians have a place in metal, where their input does not thematically contradict the original aims of the music. But to copy the form of black metal and insert a meaning that is anathema to its original intention is far more arrogant than anything you could accuse me of.
----
Vapour Bay Radio

11.03.2012 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by DJ Mythos on 11.03.2012 at 17:11

Lyrics are just one element. It's THEME that I'm talking about, and that includes everything from the lyrics to the sound to the album art. Black metal was created in a certrain time and place, and with specific aims. To copy the form and insert a meaning that is anathema to its original intention is the real arrogance.

It's just as arrogant to claim that someone else doesn't take their music as seriously as you just because they don't care about satanism and related themes.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.03.2012 - 17:19
vezzy
Stallmanite
Whitney Houston and Glen Benton.

Both are attention whores.

Both have been smoking crack (Glen hasn't publicly admitted, as far as I know, has he? But come on, it's so fucking obvious). Whitney ultimately died from smoking too much and drowning in the tub.

In Glen's case, as a result of smoking crack, he writes bullshit lyrics. Both do so, although in Whitney's case, it probably isn't the crack, but hey, who knows?

Both kept releasing mundane albums. Legend has it Deicide still does to this day. [subjective]
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.03.2012 - 17:21
DJ Mythos
Written by vezzy on 11.03.2012 at 17:19

Whitney Houston and Glen Benton.

Both are attention whores.

Both have been smoking crack (Glen hasn't publicly admitted, as far as I know, has he? But come on, it's so fucking obvious). Whitney ultimately died from smoking too much and drowning in the tub.

In Glen's case, as a result of smoking crack, he writes bullshit lyrics. Both do so, although in Whitney's case, it probably isn't the crack, but hey, who knows?

Both kept releasing mundane albums. Legend has it Deicide still does to this day. [subjective]

haha. you got me. Whitney is kvlt!
----
Vapour Bay Radio

11.03.2012 - 19:28
Vombatus
Potorro

Written by Vombatus on 11.03.2012 at 14:48

Irrelevant?!

I didn't explain myself correctly. Lyrics are important/enjoyable when they are well written and say something interesting, which isn't the case with a big part of metal bands. I give priority to the music. If I wanted to read something related to philosposhy/history/politics/moral, I'd pick up a book... they are way more useful in that aspect.

Oh and comparing Whitney Houston with Glen Benton ? Please.... : (but they both suck).
07.07.2012 - 22:40
Written by Bad English on 08.02.2011 at 00:20

American band Bound by Entrails from Alaska...

This band actually just released another album this last month too. Seems to be getting some pretty positive feedback, including a 10/10 on the MA forums. You can stream at this link.

http://boundbyentrails.bandcamp.com