03. Painting In The Dark
04. Death Of An Anarchist
05. The Guessing Game
06. Edwige's Eyes
07. Cats, Incense, Candles & Wine

Disc II
01. One Dimensional People
02. The Casket Chasers
03. La Noche Del Buque Maldito (Aka Ghost Ship Of The Blind Dead)
04. The Running Man
05. Requiem For The Voiceless
06. Journeys Into Jade

We all know these doom pioneers have been around for over twenty years now, but for the first time Cathedral have released a double album, in the form of The Guessing Game.

The music contained on these two discs is as colourful and artistic as the cover art, Cathedral have always been a little fruity and this latest offering is no different. This is doom metal meets psychedelic rock and progressive punk, and a bunch of various other elements thrown in there for good measure. The Guessing Game isn't as crushingly heavy as the band have been in the past, but there are still plenty of riffs on this doom-a-thon to get your head behind.

The 70's would be proud, The Guessing Game smells of drugged up influence; the whole album feels foggy and intoxicated. Those unfamiliar to the band will find this just too weird. Sitting through the full album in one go is also a little draining unless you have no comprehension of time, as the band probably didn't putting this album together. The lyrics grumble along about society, religion, and such other inconveniences too, which does get a little old after the first song. The Guessing Game is an album that has gone even further into the bizarre, making it something only the band's fans will initially understand.

You can always find some songs on a double album that could have been omitted in order to save the planet's CD forests, The Guessing Game is no different, although the quality on this album is consistently good, the diversity of styles here might be the reason for either fixated or dwindling attention, however your tastes are.

Lee's vocals are as deadpan as ever, and the rest of the band make their best attempts to bring a slightly psychedelic-y doom-y soundtrack with some heavy yet slightly resigned riffing. The album sounds great, the production is spot-on.

The Guessing Game is intoxication encapsulated in musical form, this isn't your everyday doom album, it is a perplexing journey through time and space that might just leave you a little confused at the other end. Don't knock it until you've tried it though.

-

Doom metal
Nuclear Blast
England
Length: 1:24:51

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 27.03.2010 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 39   Visited by: 204 users
28.03.2010 - 04:04
Richard
Elite
The new song on their myspace is what I was expecting, particularly after reading the review.

Regarding the lyrical content, I like how you refer to society and religion as "inconveniences"!
----
28.03.2010 - 17:08
Baz Anderson
Staff
Haha thanks! I'm surprised more people aren't seeming interested in this album...

I think this was my first ever doom review too, hahaha.
28.03.2010 - 19:34
Rating: 7
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Your review did got me interested. Listening to it right now. Maybe you could have mentioned the opening track's opening part sounds like a woman enjoying her sex would get more ppl interested
----
loves 小巫
28.03.2010 - 19:41
A good review, man! It seems you really got the point here. I find it interesting that you gave a 9 mark to "Originality", it fits. Well, in a whole - this album does need more listening, I myself, as a long long time fan will do so for sure. One of the more intriguing pieces of music this years, so far. I'm glad it's Cathedral.
29.03.2010 - 19:56
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Am interested in this one.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.03.2010 - 09:51
elekctric
One pass through the album and so far so good ...not ready for a rating yet ... gonna have to give it a few more spins and see what i think
01.04.2010 - 08:14
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Great review Baz, this is a really good album. As mentioned, there are definite flaws, but overall they're minor. One thing that wasn't mentioned, however, is the awesome production. But, I guess every Cathedral album has a huge sound, so that probably just goes without saying

La noche del buque maldito (aka Ghost Ship of the Blind Dead) is my favorite on the album, but Funeral Of Dreams is a close second. I hate the spoken parts, but the background music is cool
08.04.2010 - 13:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Very nice review. Personally this is one of the best things i've heard this year, if not the best. It's amazing how they graze through so many styles and still sound professional and fun. I can't think of many bands that could pull this off, there's definitely some new and original ground being covered here to the point where it feels like I've never listened to metal before. It's not a feeling I get very often.

Groovy, proggy, folky, psyched out genius.
22.04.2010 - 19:42
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
Definitely a grower. Sounds more stoner than doom to me though.
----
loves 小巫
14.05.2010 - 01:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
A bit proggy, which makes it more mood specific for me.

the lyrics to a lot of the songs get annoying after a while, though. "blah blah blah human sheep" ssdd.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.05.2010 - 21:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Listened to it loads of times now. And this is definitely Cathedral's weakest outing by far. Original it is but that's it. a 6 I would rate it.
Huge disappointment for me. I was expecting so much more from it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.12.2010 - 11:51
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by [user id=4365] on 08.04.2010 at 13:21

Very nice review. Personally this is one of the best things i've heard this year, if not the best. It's amazing how they graze through so many styles and still sound professional and fun. I can't think of many bands that could pull this off, there's definitely some new and original ground being covered here to the point where it feels like I've never listened to metal before. It's not a feeling I get very often.

Groovy, proggy, folky, psyched out genius.

Completely agreee with you. Cathedral have never been a one dimensional band, with the exception of the first album. There's always been some added spice and quirky variety on their albums. But even for them, this album is very adventurous. I love how they manage to incoporate so many influences and styles on the album, yet still hang on to enough of their signature style for it to be nothing but pure Cathedral. As for the lyrics, I love them! There's lots of charm and whimsy mixed in with Lee's social commentary, which gives it a feeling of whacked out 70's psychadelia just with a dash of realism and despair at the state of our society. (Which I also have to add I'm in complete agreement with him about)

I think the review is very good, even though I'd personally give the album a higher rating, and it is my album of the year. A totally wonderful, and captivating musical journey that I never want to end. xD
22.12.2010 - 13:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.12.2010 at 11:51

Completely agreee with you. Cathedral have never been a one dimensional band, with the exception of the first album. There's always been some added spice and quirky variety on their albums. But even for them, this album is very adventurous. I love how they manage to incoporate so many influences and styles on the album, yet still hang on to enough of their signature style for it to be nothing but pure Cathedral. As for the lyrics, I love them! There's lots of charm and whimsy mixed in with Lee's social commentary, which gives it a feeling of whacked out 70's psychadelia just with a dash of realism and despair at the state of our society. (Which I also have to add I'm in complete agreement with him about)

I think the review is very good, even though I'd personally give the album a higher rating, and it is my album of the year. A totally wonderful, and captivating musical journey that I never want to end. xD

Virtual high five! This album still blows my mind even though I first heard it at the start of the year. We shall stand against the haters of this record!
22.12.2010 - 14:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by [user id=4365] on 22.12.2010 at 13:22
Virtual high five! This album still blows my mind even though I first heard it at the start of the year. We shall stand against the haters of this record!

Hehee! *virtual high fives back*

I only heard this album yesterday for the first time, although Ive been a huge Cathedral fan for a long time. I was going to listen to it around the time it first came out, but for some reason, didnt. And then it fell off my radar. Im kicking myself even more now that I didnt listen to it months ago, because it is a mindblowing album of sheer genius. To be fair, I can understand why some might not like it, as it is very far out and adventurous. But I instantly fell in love with it. <3 It might just be my fave Cathedral album, and one of the best albums Ive ever listened to. "The Running Man" is the only slightly weak track on the album, but if it was shortened, itd have been as great as the other songs. Just a little repetitive for it's length, in my opinion. Everything else though, is just awesome, and the album manages to be savage, beautiful, fun, dark, creative, and wonderfully weird all at once. Its very rare, especially these days that Id use the word "genius" to describe any album, but for this album, it seems like the only apt word for it. lol

Im definitely with you all the way on this one! xD
22.12.2010 - 14:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 22.12.2010 at 14:09

I only heard this album yesterday for the first time, although Ive been a huge Cathedral fan for a long time. I was going to listen to it around the time it first came out, but for some reason, didnt. And then it fell off my radar. Im kicking myself even more now that I didnt listen to it months ago, because it is a mindblowing album of sheer genius. To be fair, I can understand why some might not like it, as it is very far out and adventurous. But I instantly fell in love with it. <3 It might just be my fave Cathedral album, and one of the best albums Ive ever listened to. "The Running Man" is the only slightly weak track on the album, but if it was shortened, itd have been as great as the other songs. Just a little repetitive for it's length, in my opinion. Everything else though, is just awesome, and the album manages to be savage, beautiful, fun, dark, creative, and wonderfully weird all at once. Its very rare, especially these days that Id use the word "genius" to describe any album, but for this album, it seems like the only apt word for it. lol

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who saw this record in this way but clearly I'm not. I certainly don't blame people who didn't like it, whenever a band changes sound it causes problems and if long time fans don't like the change then it makes it doubly hard to get around it. I like older Cathedral but I think their new sound is much more interesting and creative, especially seeing as their sound hasn't really evolved much in the past few albums. The sound on this record seems highly innovative to me, the way it draws upon a variety of sources as well as its own quirkyness and while a couple of the later tracks on the second disc (the one you mentioned for example) might be stretching it a little considering the length and eclectic nature of it as a whole it's really a minor dent ;]
22.12.2010 - 15:04
Mikyz
Written by [user id=4365] on 22.12.2010 at 14:55

Written by Angelic Storm on 22.12.2010 at 14:09

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who saw this record in this way but clearly I'm not. I certainly don't blame people who didn't like it, whenever a band changes sound it causes problems and if long time fans don't like the change then it makes it doubly hard to get around it. I like older Cathedral but I think their new sound is much more interesting and creative, especially seeing as their sound hasn't really evolved much in the past few albums. The sound on this record seems highly innovative to me, the way it draws upon a variety of sources as well as its own quirkyness and while a couple of the later tracks on the second disc (the one you mentioned for example) might be stretching it a little considering the length and eclectic nature of it as a whole it's really a minor dent ;]

After what you guys said, I think I'm going to listen to this more seriously. I only checked a couple of songs, and even then I wasn't in the adequate mood. + I'm getting a new hi-fi system, so the listening experience will be even better. So, I'll be getting back to you guys
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
22.12.2010 - 15:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well good luck to ya, I personally was hooked before I even knew what the hell was going on. You should watch The Wicker Man (the original of course) to get yourself into an appropriately surreal, folky mood ;]
22.12.2010 - 16:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by [user id=4365] on 22.12.2010 at 14:55

Nope, you're not lol

Although I do love older Cathedral, you are so right about the new sound being more interesting and creative. A good example of this, is the song "Requiem For The Voiceless". Which is the one song on the album which is slow, mournful, and has huge, crushing doom riffs. On this album, it stands out, and sounds much more powerful, than if it had been on an album where all, or most of the songs were in that style. Another reason the album works so well, isnt just the sheer innovation, but the fact that no matter which variety of sound is explored, they manage to pull it off with ease. Whether it's the Beatles-esque harmonies in "Cats, Incense, Candles & Wine", or the folk-meets 70's psychadelic prog-meets immense doom riffage of "Funeral Of Dreams", or the magical whimsy of the title track, it all sounds totally natural, and is done with such style. Its easy to tell that a lot of love, time and attention was spent on this album, and by geez it pays off! xD

@Mikyz: Hey, good luck with your listening! JOE made a good suggestion about The Wicker Man, but yep, it must be the original. The "remake" is so abysmally awful, its only saving grace is at times it is unintentionally hilarious!
23.12.2010 - 14:34
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I used to be a fan of Napalm Death, so when I heard that Lee Dorrian founded a new band, I was very eager to hear it. I didn't really get into "Forest of Equilibrium" - I thought, and still think that, decent as it is, it lacks real direction and a real catch that would get me hooked. "The Ethereal Mirror" was a sharp turn, and I liked it a lot more. But only after "Carnival Bizarre" was released, did my love for Cathedral become complete. This album, and it's successor, "Supernatural Birth Machine" still would easily fit into my 100 favourite albums of the 90's. "Electric Grave", "Carnival Bizarre", "Palace of Fallen Majesty", "Hopkins", "Dragon Ryder 13" - these songs are pure genius. Even Dorrian's TERRIBLE vocals do not lessen the impact of Cathedral's music in my ears. All the albums that followed we're quite good, so my love for Cathedral never waned.

Until "The Guessing Game" that is. What a pile of uninspired dog shit this is. I had waited 5 years for a new album, and when it came, I was so eager to hear it, that I drove 20 miles on a Saturday to buy a CD when I realised it was out (no, I didn't think about downloading it, because I believe in supporting the bands I listen to as opposed to stealing from them). I listened to the album several times, starting every next listen hoping to find some magic element that I missed during preceeding listens. But no, nothing like that ever revealed itself to me. A few months later my brother bought this album on vinyl, so I listened to it a few more times. Nothing again. It's a gigantic assembly of pusposeless songs which contain exactly ZERO interesting riffs, melodies, ideas. Seriously, I tried hard to find a single song that I could like. No fucking way. Oh, and my brother hates the album too.

Why did I spend so much time writing about something so bad? Because no other favourite band has ever let me down as much as Cathedral did with "The Guessing Game". I gave away the CD to some friend who was only vaguely interested in it.
23.12.2010 - 17:25
Baz Anderson
Staff
It is amusing to see what people see as inspired, or uninspired.
23.12.2010 - 18:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Indeed! This is becoming the Meads of Asphodel of the "doom" genre: indefinable in classification, polarising in opinion and hard to swallow, overtly-English, vocals with offbeat lyrics.

Metal at its most interesting as far as I'm concerned; I'd much rather bands tackle uncharted territory than do what most other doom bands do and settle down into a hole of well established but not very creative metal. Clearly they aren't playing it safe enough for our older, more set-in-their-way metallers
23.12.2010 - 18:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
However this ground is not particularly new for 'older, more set-in-their-way metallers' - some of us have followed the band since they started, picked up a lot of their EP's, which do showcase some of their way more out there indulgences.

to them, this isn't particularly "uncharted" - and thus might be seen as uninspired. i want call it "uninspired", but i just don't like this side of the band as much.

finally, the lyrics in some cases are atrocious. that whole "your life is fucked up you drone" bull... outside of career path, i don't think lee's life to be too horribly different than the average Brit. unless you go the whole 9 yards, like Wolves In The Throne Room and live on a self-sustaining commune, i generally find such lyrics hollow and even self-aggrandizing wankery.
----

23.12.2010 - 19:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
To be fair though I find a smattering of songs here and there showcasing a few eccentricities hardly equivalent to a double CD album that essentially abandons most of what they've built up the last 20 or so years. The fact such change occurs so late in their career is to be commended especially as it's pretty clear that most would have prefered them to bang out yet another slab of riff-heavy doom so to take the decision to go for a lighter, more whimsical psych-prog-folk number should be given extra consideration. Hey, everyone hates it when a band jumps ship. It so happens I find that the new ship is a lot more interesting than the rotting, decayed wooden barge they used to inhabit which should have been decommisioned years ago.
23.12.2010 - 19:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
To be honest, Im not very surprised that this album is polarising opinion so much, but at the same time, I dont think Cathedral have done anything that radically different from before. :\ Most of their other albums featured quirky and whimsical moments. The only difference now, is they are truly wearing all their influences on their sleeves, and pushing them to the forefront of their sound, instead of letting them show only for fleeting moments like they did in the past.

Lee actually said that they recorded a whole album in which was like the first album, but they scrapped it because they didnt want to repeat themselves, and do something which they've already done. So they went in with the plan to be upfront with all their influences, instead of just toying with them.

I wouldnt have minded really, if they'd done another album like one they've previously done, but "The Guessing Game" completely shattered all expectations I had for the album, and gave me an even higher respect for the band. With such an adventurous, and bold step into uncharted territory, it was only inevitable that some fans would turn their back on them and criticise them for the change. But then, this happens with EVERY single band that goes into unknown waters and surprises their fans with something fresh and new.

I for one, have a newfound adoration for Cathedral, and love how they've managed to come up with such a daring album while still firmly holding onto their doom roots.
23.12.2010 - 19:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I don't hate it when they "jump ship" (i love Ulver's recent as much as their black metal past) - i just don't think this is particularly amazing. its "good" largely because of the eccentricities. but as i said, it's not even that "new" - the Hopkins and Cosmic Requiem EPs released 15 years ago have out there stuff on them, so that "jump ship" factor isn't particularly anything to me - i've heard it before.
----

23.12.2010 - 20:01
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BitterCOld on 23.12.2010 at 19:55

I don't hate it when they "jump ship" (i love Ulver's recent as much as their black metal past) - i just don't think this is particularly amazing. its "good" largely because of the eccentricities. but as i said, it's not even that "new" - the Hopkins and Cosmic Requiem EPs released 15 years ago have out there stuff on them, so that "jump ship" factor isn't particularly anything to me - i've heard it before.

It isnt new, no. But deciding to incorporate those out there influences wholesale on a full-length album is new. I also disagree that its good because of its eccentricities. Although we're now coming down to personal tastes again... lol

Being eccentric and out there for its own sake wouldnt do anything for me at all. Id much rather have another "Ethereal Mirror", than an album with loads of eccentricities that sound out of place and dont work. Why I love the album so much, is that for all its weirdness, nothing sounds forced, or out of place. It all sounds totally natural, and the album flows wonderfully.
23.12.2010 - 20:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
But a lot of people don't like non-metal Ulver ;] A lot of people don't like new In Flames or new Dimmu etc. I still don't think the current Cathedral is any less inferior to the more doom orientated stuff at the end of the day. I suppose in the end it's more of a statement about people's reactions to changes in sound, which can often be a bit ott and whatnot like I think the way some reacted to this record.
23.12.2010 - 20:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.12.2010 at 20:01

But deciding to incorporate those out there influences wholesale on a full-length album is new

Exactly, bands don't have to start using toasters and honking animals in their music to sound fresh. A re-focusing of past influences and a shuffling of often used elements can create an entirely different effect ;]
23.12.2010 - 20:09
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.12.2010 at 20:01

It isnt new, no. But deciding to incorporate those out there influences wholesale on a full-length album is new. I also disagree that its good because of its eccentricities. Although we're now coming down to personal tastes again... lol

Being eccentric and out there for its own sake wouldnt do anything for me at all. Id much rather have another "Ethereal Mirror", than an album with loads of eccentricities that sound out of place and dont work. Why I love the album so much, is that for all its weirdness, nothing sounds forced, or out of place. It all sounds totally natural, and the album flows wonderfully.

ultimately it does come down to tastes and this one isn't particularly mine. Cathedral was a band i discovered early in their career - shortly after "Forest", so i've always had a soft spot for them and given them a little more "benefit of the doubt" than i would other bands... but as time has gone on, they've devolved from "must buy" band the moment i see something new to one i might check out... and that is regardless as to which direction they take.

to my ears, the album is good, but nothing astonishing. different direction, but ultimately about on par with anything they've done post-Carnival Bizarre.
----

23.12.2010 - 22:12
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BitterCOld on 23.12.2010 at 20:09
ultimately it does come down to tastes and this one isn't particularly mine. Cathedral was a band i discovered early in their career - shortly after "Forest", so i've always had a soft spot for them and given them a little more "benefit of the doubt" than i would other bands... but as time has gone on, they've devolved from "must buy" band the moment i see something new to one i might check out... and that is regardless as to which direction they take.

to my ears, the album is good, but nothing astonishing. different direction, but ultimately about on par with anything they've done post-Carnival Bizarre.

Im in total agreement about it purely coming down to tastes.

I also discovered Cathedral very early in their career. "Forest Of Equilibrium" was unlike anything Id ever heard at that time, and it was a bit too slow and depressive for me. But hearing "The Ethereal Mirror" made me a fan instantly, and I have been one ever since. That album is still a classic to me, and one of my faves of all time, in any genre. They've never released a bad album to my ears, just ones that are of lesser quality than the real classics in their catalogue. I thought their last album "The Garden..." was a real return to classic form, but even that couldnt have prepared me for the greatness of their latest album. "Ethereal.." will always have a special place in my heart, as far as this band is concerned. But I really think "The Guessing Game" could turn out to be their finest hour, for me at least. xD

Hits total: 10844 | This month: 7