Metal Storm logo
Gripmaster!

15.01.2008 - 18:32
RockeRoy
Hi! o don't know if any of you know what a gripmaster is, but i will explain.
A gripmaster(at least that what we call it in norway) is a device used to train your fingers for guitar playing!
My cousin's guitar teacher is an extremly talented guy called "Ivan Solberg", an my cousin asked him about the Gripmaster, and he told my cousin that it could be dangerous to use it because the muscels in your fingers will grow and get slower! but he also said that if you manage to practise extremly much speed in addition to use the gripmaster, you would probably gain something from using the gripmaster!
I'm going to rehab soon, and there will be little guitar playing the first six month, so i hoped maybe you could sheare you opinion and experience with gripmaster, ore if you have any other suggestions what i can do to keep my fingers in shape!
Rock on!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
15.01.2008 - 20:01
Lord TJ
For those who dont know what a gripmaster is:

I always wanted one of these, but never took the time to go get one.

Written by RockeRoy on 15.01.2008 at 18:32

he told my cousin that it could be dangerous to use it because the muscels in your fingers will grow and get slower! but he also said that if you manage to practise extremly much speed in addition to use the gripmaster, you would probably gain something from using the gripmaster!

Good thing theres no muscles in fingers then eh?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
16.01.2008 - 00:45
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
sounds interesting, if it actually works i'd give it a go, particularly to work on my pinky
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
16.01.2008 - 01:00
RockeRoy
Quote:
Good thing theres no muscles in fingers then eh?

Thanx fore the picture of the gripmaster, but you say there is no muscels in your fingers? there is muscel in fingers!
----

Walk with me in hell
16.01.2008 - 20:16
Lord TJ
No, your hand has muscles, your fingers only have tendons to allow them to move. Try flexing your fingers and you'll see what I mean.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

16.01.2008 - 23:38
RockeRoy
Written by Lord TJ on 16.01.2008 at 20:16

No, your hand has muscles, your fingers only have tendons to allow them to move. Try flexing your fingers and you'll see what I mean.

Ok! your probably right, but then the muscels in your hand will build and you get slower
----

Walk with me in hell
17.01.2008 - 05:19
Lord TJ
Written by RockeRoy on 16.01.2008 at 23:38

Ok! your probably right, but then the muscels in your hand will build and you get slower

Makes sense but then again its your fingers you use to play with, but then again im not sure if strong hands would slow you down.

Then again I saw this huge muscular guy on youtube playing Death Metal.
----

17.01.2008 - 05:30
RockeRoy
Quote:
Then again I saw this huge muscular guy on youtube playing Death Metal.

I'm not sure if it slows you down either, thats why i made this thread, because i don't want to use it if it does slow me down! anyway my cousins guitar teacher told him that you could gain alot using the gripmaster, but only if you practise a lot of speed i addition to using the gripmaster, beacause you build muscels somewhere in your hand(i thought he said fingers, but he couldn't because we agree now that finger muscels don't exist)
But anyway! he could be wrong! thats what i want to find out, but it kind of make sence though!
----

Walk with me in hell
17.01.2008 - 08:07
Forged Soul
Music Theory Bot
Elite
the work the gripping muscles located in your forearm. it's not to develop strength, but endurance. then when it's applied to the guitar it results in some looser fingers (and as a side effect, strong grip), so to speak, as they are now conditioned a little more. it won't make you faster, but it can help in your playing. ie, vibrato, slides. chord voicing. but doing trills and playing on an acoustic guitar every now and then will accomplish the same thing. ask steve vai
----
You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream
-Frank Zappa

There are no trolls in my ivory tower!
17.01.2008 - 13:33
Soliloquy
i know they come indifferent strengths. my friend has one that is 'extra light' tension. i tried it out for about 4 minutes, and my pinky on my fretting hand was DEAD! and i've been playing for almost 3 years now, so i wasnt expecting much from it. but just after 4 minutes, the rest of my hand was fine...just my pinky

perhaps i should get one just so i can train my picking hand and take it from there....
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde