Metal Storm logo
Avenged Sevenfold - Life Is But A Dream...

6.9 | 172 votes |
Release date: 2 June 2023
Style: Alternative metal, Avantgarde metal, Progressive metal

Owners:

41 have it
12 want it

01. Game Over
02. Mattel
03. Nobody
04. We Love You
05. Cosmic
06. Beautiful Morning
07. Easier
08. G
09. (O)rdinary
10. (D)eath
11. Life Is But A Dream…

Additional info
Produced by Joe Barresi
Mixed by Andy Wallace

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Considering where they were a decade ago, Avenged Sevenfold have certainly had one of the more intriguing career trajectories of the 2000s mainstream metal icon bands.

Read more ››
published 12.06.2023 | Comments (9)

Leave any expectations you have from Avenged Sevenfold at the door, because Life Is Just A Dream… is pushing the band’s boundaries so much that it cannot be anything but divisive. It is one of the most ambitious and surprising albums of the year, and it is impressive how over-the-top it gets, regarding music genres blending together. To claim that its influences are broad would be an understatement; Mr. Bungle, Alice In Chains, Frank Zappa, System Of A Down, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Daft Punk, Faith No More, Frank Sinatra, Nine Inch Nails, Rush… there is no end to the list. This is an alternative metal act going progressive, avantgarde, pop, experimental, and, quite frankly, batshit crazy. Being a Jack of all trades is one thing, but also being a master of almost all of them, like Avenged Sevenfold are on this album… well, that deserves respect and applause. And taking the risk to scare away the fanbase in favour of evolution and growth deserves all the praise in the world.

nikarg's picks | More picks ››

Found in 19 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 64   Visited by: 417 users
02.06.2023 - 21:39
Rating: 8
Metren
Dreadrealm
I endorse strange(r) stuff. Wish this album was more weird, actually. Still, a great listening experience.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
02.06.2023 - 21:53
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Came across a very elegant review on RYM. Here's an excerpt I particularly liked.

Let’s start with the Vocals, because oh my fucking god it’s nails on a chalkboard, it’s like someone is actively trying to brainfuck me through my earhole with a rusty and molded Drill, I’d rather walk on fucking Legos for the rest of my life than dealing with this fucking vocals, whatever the hell M Shadows is trying to do in this shit is NOT working, the opening track has some really ass tier lyrics (which I will get to later) and M Shadows does the wimpiest, Shittiest, tired, nasally and processed screams I probably ever fucking heard, this makes Danzig in his current time look actually fucking amazing in comparison, this makes Vince Fucking Neil sounds almost audible, Almost is the keyword here, because the vocals gets progressively way fucking worse, M Shadows cannot hit any fucking right notes, nor the highs, nor the lows, no in between, nothing, they all sound forced and as if someone was kicked in the balls and let out the most desperate cry but with the voice of Lisa Simpson.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.06.2023 - 23:45
bardberic
Account deleted
Definitely an elegant review that's for sure lmfao
03.06.2023 - 00:31
A Real Mönkey
Damn RYM is fucking trash fr fr.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
03.06.2023 - 03:15
24emd
Theory Snob
It kinda pisses me off when people use 'nasally' to describe bad vocals, when it's actually a legitimate technique to good singing. Whenever a reviewer is scrambling for words they seem to go for 'nasal vocals'. It's clear that they're only using the word because it sounds right to them, but in reality, it's not an accurate use of the word.
Video if anyone cares - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpzZLNbAEAI
Not to mention M. Shadows doesn't sing a wrong note on the whole album. Some people don't even know what out of key means. Hint: it's not subjective.

As for the album, it's... very different. Good different though, I was worried I'd be sitting through an hour of avant-garde crap, but this album still has the A7X moments I know and love to cling onto. Tbh, I'll probably stick with City of Evil, Self-titled, and The Stage, but a great effort nonetheless.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
03.06.2023 - 06:24
bardberic
Account deleted
Written by A Real Mönkey on 03.06.2023 at 00:31

Damn RYM is fucking trash fr fr.

tbf the album was going at 3.81 before I went to bed last night, 2 hours after its release. It had 300 raters at that point. So I mean it was only recently rating bombed by the normies lol

but the site indeed has trash opinions
03.06.2023 - 14:45
Rating: 9
Jack_Torrance
I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of the vocals, especially with this kind of music. I think they're quite fitting.
03.06.2023 - 16:29
VileVick-Bryant
Written by Jack_Torrance on 03.06.2023 at 14:45

I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of the vocals, especially with this kind of music. I think they're quite fitting.

I actually like way more then the annoying high pitch vocals of the other albums.
03.06.2023 - 16:48
Vellichor
Yeah these vocals seem to bother some people but they weren’t really an issue for me. I think this was a very solid release from them.
04.06.2023 - 11:18
Rating: 7
ChrisWinther94
I thought i was about to hear “Sons of Northern Darkness” when “We love you” hit my speakers 😂
04.06.2023 - 15:52
Icedburden
Written by Boxcar Willy on 02.06.2023 at 21:53

Came across a very elegant review on RYM. Here's an excerpt I particularly liked.

Let’s start with the Vocals, because oh my fucking god it’s nails on a chalkboard, it’s like someone is actively trying to brainfuck me through my earhole with a rusty and molded Drill, I’d rather walk on fucking Legos for the rest of my life than dealing with this fucking vocals, whatever the hell M Shadows is trying to do in this shit is NOT working, the opening track has some really ass tier lyrics (which I will get to later) and M Shadows does the wimpiest, Shittiest, tired, nasally and processed screams I probably ever fucking heard, this makes Danzig in his current time look actually fucking amazing in comparison, this makes Vince Fucking Neil sounds almost audible, Almost is the keyword here, because the vocals gets progressively way fucking worse, M Shadows cannot hit any fucking right notes, nor the highs, nor the lows, no in between, nothing, they all sound forced and as if someone was kicked in the balls and let out the most desperate cry but with the voice of Lisa Simpson.

Is this person a well-known reviewer? This is some middle-school tier writing. It’s sad someone who holds these opinions probably has followers who vomit out the same drivel, as the writer clearly has no idea what well written music sounds like.

Is Shadows singing ‘exceptional’? No.
Is it bad? Not even remotely close. Listen to Virgin Steele 2023 for bad singing.

I’m not an A7X fanboy by any means, but these last 2 albums are legitimately interesting musically after years of just pure boredom. I wonder what the catalyst was to take this route?
----
Born Out Of Hate, Descending Upon The Earth
05.06.2023 - 13:05
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I was really not expecting to become an fan of this band...I thought the last album was a one off, but here they go and push the boundary of their sound even further into a completely different realm. I got a little bored of the 3 tracks making up GOD (8-10), but I can appreciate it nonetheless. Here's hoping they continue to not give a s.... and create more excellent music.
05.06.2023 - 13:17
JoHn Doe
I don't share people's enthusiasm with this release. I started watching this video with a youtuber putting this album in the same league as King Crimson's debut album calling it one of the best prog albums ever. That's when I stopped watching.

Listenable at best, it does not make me give it another listen any time soon.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
05.06.2023 - 14:01
24emd
Theory Snob
Written by JoHn Doe on 05.06.2023 at 13:17

I started watching this video with a youtuber putting this album in the same league as King Crimson's debut album calling it one of the best prog albums ever

Yeah I saw Bradley Hall's video too, he definitely drooled over it, but then he is a big fan
----

Best 2024 Albums
05.06.2023 - 14:06
JoHn Doe
Written by 24emd on 05.06.2023 at 14:01

Written by JoHn Doe on 05.06.2023 at 13:17

I started watching this video with a youtuber putting this album in the same league as King Crimson's debut album calling it one of the best prog albums ever

Yeah I saw Bradley Hall's video too, he definitely drooled over it, but then he is a big fan

Fan or not, that's a huge exaggeration.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
05.06.2023 - 15:09
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I don't really like it either. It feels sloppy and, at the risk of receiving hurtful online backlash, the vocals sound terrible (and are mixed poorly).
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
05.06.2023 - 20:04
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.06.2023 at 15:09

I don't really like it either. It feels sloppy and, at the risk of receiving hurtful online backlash, the vocals sound terrible (and are mixed poorly).

Doubt this would be hurtful, but didn't you already imply all of this in your post further up? What did this band do to you?
05.06.2023 - 20:51
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by LeKiwi on 05.06.2023 at 20:04

Doubt this would be hurtful, but didn't you already imply all of this in your post further up? What did this band do to you?

No I just shared the review because I thought it was a little extreme/funny Whenever an album is released that's (even slightly) controversial I like to read around and see what people are saying. I made that comment before I had even listened to the album. I made the joke about it being hurtful because some users were taking that "review" a little too seriously.

The album is cool, and I don't hate the band at all, I just think the vocals/production are a big negative. I'd never have expected the band to release something like this, so it's cool to see them step out of their zone even if I personally don't like it that much.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.06.2023 - 01:33
Icedburden
Written by Boxcar Willy on 05.06.2023 at 20:51

Written by LeKiwi on 05.06.2023 at 20:04

No I just shared the review because I thought it was a little extreme/funny Whenever an album is released that's (even slightly) controversial I like to read around and see what people are saying. I made that comment before I had even listened to the album. I made the joke about it being hurtful because some users were taking that "review" a little too seriously.

The album is cool, and I don't hate the band at all, I just think the vocals/production are a big negative. I'd never have expected the band to release something like this, so it's cool to see them step out of their zone even if I personally don't like it that much.

Even then, there is nothing ‘technically’ wrong with Shadows vocals. As I said ^^^^up there, I’m not sure how you’re listening to this album, but the vocals (along with every other instrument) sound very well-produced.
Does the man sound like mindcrime-era Tate? Nope. But he’s a far cry from being bad.
----
Born Out Of Hate, Descending Upon The Earth
06.06.2023 - 01:47
A Real Mönkey
Shadows is definitely overhated as a vocalist. He’s able to do multiple ranges, he’s consistent across the board and he’s got a nice distinct sound.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
06.06.2023 - 13:59
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Hey, this is actually pretty neat

Edit: Nevermind, I got to "We Love You".

Edit2: Alright I'm warming up to it.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.06.2023 - 22:09
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by RaduP on 06.06.2023 at 13:59

Really? That was one of my favourites from the album. It's so out there and I love how they don't give a damn with that song.
07.06.2023 - 04:50
24emd
Theory Snob
Written by LeKiwi on 06.06.2023 at 22:09

Really? That was one of my favourites from the album. It's so out there and I love how they don't give a damn with that song.

Yeah I love it too.
Third listen had me chanting along 'build... build... more... more...' like a damn robot.
----

Best 2024 Albums
07.06.2023 - 12:31
Rating: 4
Gag reflex
Well, they tried to do something different... and failed miserably. But at least they tried.
----
'The thoughts of dead babies
Wiped away with my semen'
08.06.2023 - 06:48
Rating: 9
Nicko's Nose
Last time I looked this was at 7.4… Do we have Fantano drones here too? Just kidding.
12.06.2023 - 15:46
musclassia
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 06.06.2023 at 22:09

Written by RaduP on 06.06.2023 at 13:59

I guess it's different, but I'm finding it to be incredibly irritating on every replay; I'm finding I enjoy the album quite a bit more on each replay from Cosmic onwards because of it
25.06.2023 - 20:15
Rating: 4
RoyBoy432
Dr. Quark
I think there's interesting ideas here and several songs I liked. I don't think it's good on average. That's ok. This is art; this is art that was not made for me.
12.08.2023 - 09:02
24emd
Theory Snob
This is growing on me. Like really growing on me. Some great stuff here. I especially like how despite M. Shadows going on and on about AI that this album actually sounds very organic. Sure there's the autotune, but at the end of "We Love You" you can actually hear the scraping of Syn's slide against the steel strings of his acoustic. And damn, the goosebumps in "Cosmic" when the solo ends and the tempo goes down into the ballad-ish bit.
----

Best 2024 Albums
17.08.2023 - 06:52
Rating: 6
metalbrat
A band trying new directions and experimenting with what they have inside them, should be applauded. But whether the results are anything near to the expectation of the listeners of that band, well, there lies the success. I don't mind experimenting within the walls of their genres, but treading to other vast areas is like Iron Maiden or Megadeth trying to come out with a hip hop or jazz album. I wouldn't say, they cannot do it, but then, our expectation is not that.
I liked a couple of songs.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
10.11.2023 - 23:42
datfish
I definitely respect this album based solely off the musicianship and creativity. They somehow mixed together swing music, EDM, prog rock/metal, grunge, 1900s classical music, 1960s psych rock, pop music and probably more. It's actually crazy.

Beautiful Morning gives me Alice in Chains and The Beatles vibes.
G gives me Rush and Dream Theatre with pop and psych rock vibes
Life Is but a Dream sounds like it was inspired by Debussy

Honestly wild what they put together on this album. That being said, I don't plan on re-listening to most of this album again.

Hits total: 7091 | This month: 22