08. Twilight Trails
09. Heart Like A Grave
10. Karelia
11. The True Morning Star [bonus]
12. Karelia 2049 [bonus]

The Best Melodeath / Extreme Power / Gothenburg Metal Album Of 2019
Top 20 albums of 2019: 5

Additional info
Bonus tracks available on digital and "artbook" editions.

Staff review by
RaduP
Rating:
N/A
I'm having a grade A bruh moment here. Fanboy time!

Read more ››
published 29.09.2019 | Comments (23)

Found in 63 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 106   Visited by: 1330 users
05.10.2019 - 23:31
Rating: 6
Well, It wasn't as disappointing as Fleshgod Apocalypse, I'll give them that.
05.10.2019 - 23:37
Redel
06.10.2019 - 00:27
Dark Horizons
I understand fanboysm, but... how many metal albums have you listened to give 10 to this? 2?!
----
We are just a moment in time
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
Visions from a dying brain
I hope you don't understand
06.10.2019 - 07:33
Rating: 9
MeatWolf
Written by Dark Horizons on 06.10.2019 at 00:27

I understand fanboysm, but... how many metal albums have you listened to give 10 to this? 2?!

Well then you don't understand fanboyism
06.10.2019 - 12:41
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff

I listened to over two hundred albums this year probably. If I were to give 10s, this one might get it.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
06.10.2019 - 14:27
Rating: 8
AndreMarcos
It's a good album for sure, but not as good as Winter's Gate, in my opinion
06.10.2019 - 16:50
Rating: 7
FYA
Destroyer
Three songs were released before official album release. I can't say that I was waiting for it. I was more like 'Oh, nice', but that's all. Songs were good, but nothing more than that but somehow I had low expectations of this album. How about now?
Well, it's better than I though. Melodies and overall atmosphere is great, even the clean vocals are not bad. But somehow I can't feel this 'something' in their music anymore. I love 'Across the Dark' and this exact 'Across the dark' feeling. Here, it sounds great, sounds full, polished, harmonies are fine, but that's all. Like there's no 'wow' factor in it for me anymore.
06.10.2019 - 17:34
Dark Horizons
Written by RaduP on 06.10.2019 at 12:41

I listened to over two hundred albums this year probably. If I were to give 10s, this one might get it.

So this well-played and produced but unoriginal and average melo death metal album, for you is perfect?! Really?!
----
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
06.10.2019 - 17:35
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Dark Horizons on 06.10.2019 at 17:34

So this well-played and produced but unoriginal and average melo death metal album, for you is perfect?! Really?!

Uh

yes
----
06.10.2019 - 21:35
Redel
Written by Dark Horizons on 06.10.2019 at 17:34

+1
... for me, utterly generic.
06.10.2019 - 21:38
s_t_s
Boring is all I can think about... I'm really disappointed as Shadows Of A Dying Sun was a great collection of fast and not so fast songs yet all sounding catchy... Here nothing, I don't feel anything at all... :/
06.10.2019 - 23:55
Nightmare^
The million-dollar-question: if it weren't Insomnium, but just a random, not so popular band, would you still give this a good rating?

To me, considering this IS actually Insomnium, this album seems after 2-3 spins kinda boring, not gonna bother listening to it again probably. I mean there are hardly any mind blowing riffs in this one that will linger in your head. No "wow" factor as a fellow above mentioned. Generic metal.
----
07.10.2019 - 05:19
chomskeet
I really like this band but I honestly feel like they've been playing the same album for the last fifteen years. I haven't really loved any of their albums since Above the Weeping world and this album is no different. I'll take Mors Principium Est or Be'lakor hands down, even though they kind of play the same thing it always feels fresh to me for some reason, I think the riffs are just catchier
07.10.2019 - 08:11
Rating: 10
lemme
This is so badass. If someone says that this one do not deserves 10/10, in his opinion it simply deserves 11/10.
07.10.2019 - 14:08
Written by lemme on 07.10.2019 at 08:11

This is so badass. If someone says that this one do not deserves 10/10, in his opinion it simply deserves 11/10.

No it just means I listen to more than 1 band.
07.10.2019 - 14:10
lemme
Written by HarryKawaiiDesu on 07.10.2019 at 14:08

Written by lemme on 07.10.2019 at 08:11

No it just means I listen to more than 1 band.

ok. so...good band with very good album do not deserves 10/10?
07.10.2019 - 14:32
JoHn Doe
Upon first listen, I enjoyed this a lot, with all the negative comments here and there, I thought this would suck or something, but it did not. Very enjoyable for me.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
07.10.2019 - 15:22
Ball Fondlers
I liked this more than Winter's Gate, which became quite boring after a while. I still can't stand this guys voice though, as much as I try to put it to the background. It's solid and enjoyable album, that I'll listen to a lot more and see if It's a grower or not
07.10.2019 - 16:59
Dark Horizons
Written by lemme on 07.10.2019 at 14:10

No, it can deserve 8 (max 9) if you think it is very good... 10 is for outstanding and memorable albums in my opinion. Or do you think there are no albums better than this one?
----
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
08.10.2019 - 00:08
MeloDeth
Insomnium is the first band that I can enjoy all of their songs, a perfect band. But Winter's Gate disappointed me, I didn't like that sound (some good moments but not perfect as the other albums). And they comeback with another perfect album that I can enjoy every moment of it.
08.10.2019 - 07:08
lemme
Written by Dark Horizons on 07.10.2019 at 16:59

Written by lemme on 07.10.2019 at 14:10

No, it can deserve 8 (max 9) if you think it is very good... 10 is for outstanding and memorable albums in my opinion. Or do you think there are no albums better than this one?

Nope. In my opinion outstanding/memorable album don't need any ratings. My maximum rating for Insomnium is related only for 2019.
08.10.2019 - 10:41
Dark Horizons
Written by lemme on 08.10.2019 at 07:08

Nope. In my opinion outstanding/memorable album don't need any ratings. My maximum rating for Insomnium is related only for 2019.

So you rate 10 a very good album, and don't vote the outstanding/memorable albums?! Your vote affects the all time ranking too. If everybody would do like you the rankings here on MS would be a real shit (more than they are). Ratings go from 1 to 10, you should use all the numbers in between when needed.
----
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
08.10.2019 - 13:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Amazing one, nice softer sound, softer vocals,. more cold softer feelings into music, more melancholy, 2 amazing videos
True Nordic band, love this album, maybe their best
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.10.2019 - 13:22
lemme
Written by Dark Horizons on 08.10.2019 at 10:41

So you rate 10 a very good album, and don't vote the outstanding/memorable albums?! Your vote affects the all time ranking too. If everybody would do like you the rankings here on MS would be a real shit (more than they are). Ratings go from 1 to 10, you should use all the numbers in between when needed.

So You gave 6/10 for 9/10 (for me 10/10) album in 2019 and only reason for that is overall MS album ranking??

P.S. Most votes are 10/10. F*king posers...:erm:
08.10.2019 - 14:23
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
My two cents on the whole deal.

Giving away 10s too easily kinda missed the point of what a 10 should be, in the sense that if every good album is a 10, no good album is a 10. Obviously a 10 means different things to different people, but in a aggregated rating website, someone's 10 and someone else's 10 are lumped in together, with something really popular with a lot of fans getting more blind 10s than more critical 6s (see how high this album's rating is despite a lot of people in the comments being disappointed and giving it 7s), so we should all kind of agree on what each rating really should mean. This is exactly the purpose for which we have designed kind of a description for each rating, so when you try to rate an album, you get a feeling of what this should mean (ex: 10 is perfect, 6 is average).

Giving this album a 6 and a 10 are both quite reasonable. On one hand, they didn't really change much in the formula and all the great production and songwriting can be dismissed if it just feels stale and generic, thus it can be seen as an average album. Anything less than that would be quite a stretch, since the lack of innovation is really the only thing I can really hold against this album. On the other hand, it really takes everything that made Insomnium great in the first place, the songwriting is great, the performance is great, the production is the best they ever had. Lack of originality can be dismissed if it's really engaging and everything else has a lot of impact and it really doesn't feel worse than previous albums.

I would probably not give this one a 10, because I'd rather not entirely dismiss neither points of view, but I'm closer to a 10 than a 6. Giving it a 6 feels like just shitting on something popular. Giving it a 10 feels like blind fanboy-ism.
----
08.10.2019 - 14:43
Dark Horizons
Written by lemme on 08.10.2019 at 13:22

So You gave 6/10 for 9/10 (for me 10/10) album in 2019 and only reason for that is overall MS album ranking??

P.S. Most votes are 10/10. F*king posers...:erm:

I gave 6/10 for 6/10, for me it is an average melo death album. I don't give votes to push higher or lower albums in the rankings.
----
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
08.10.2019 - 15:17
X-FrEaK
I was disappointed with Winters Gate as well, but this is a really good album, of course its still pretty much the same Insomnium but this is a 8.5 for me which rounding will be a 9

I think, personally, the melodic death metal sound has been kind of stale for years, so I think my enjoyment sometimes depends on the time gap to the last melodeath I listened to. And maybe this time it has been a while so its like "oh I kinda missed Insomnium". I have no reason to explain my disappointment with Winters Gate, and also I cannot explain whats so different about this one compared to Winters Gate, the fact is this album clicked with me (I was completely hooked to Mute is My Sorrow on my second listen), and Winters Gate just seemed like a really long song. But in reality...they are not that different lol
----
08.10.2019 - 15:19
Dark Horizons
Written by RaduP on 08.10.2019 at 14:23

My two cents on the whole deal.

Giving away 10s too easily kinda missed the point of what a 10 should be, in the sense that if every good album is a 10, no good album is a 10. Obviously a 10 means different things to different people, but in a aggregated rating website, someone's 10 and someone else's 10 are lumped in together, with something really popular with a lot of fans getting more blind 10s than more critical 6s (see how high this album's rating is despite a lot of people in the comments being disappointed and giving it 7s), so we should all kind of agree on what each rating really should mean. This is exactly the purpose for which we have designed kind of a description for each rating, so when you try to rate an album, you get a feeling of what this should mean (ex: 10 is perfect, 6 is average).

Giving this album a 6 and a 10 are both quite reasonable. On one hand, they didn't really change much in the formula and all the great production and songwriting can be dismissed if it just feels stale and generic, thus it can be seen as an average album. Anything less than that would be quite a stretch, since the lack of innovation is really the only thing I can really hold against this album. On the other hand, it really takes everything that made Insomnium great in the first place, the songwriting is great, the performance is great, the production is the best they ever had. Lack of originality can be dismissed if it's really engaging and everything else has a lot of impact and it really doesn't feel worse than previous albums.

I would probably not give this one a 10, because I'd rather not entirely dismiss neither points of view, but I'm closer to a 10 than a 6. Giving it a 6 feels like just shitting on something popular. Giving it a 10 feels like blind fanboy-ism.

I don't judge personal tastes, so an album that for me is a 6 (there are a lot of melo death albums better than this one and a lot of bands more original than insomnium, in my opinion) could be easily a 5 for who hates melo death and Insomnium, or an 8 or at most a 9 for who really loves it. 10 is inappropriate (blind fanboyism as you said) as 1 or 2 or 3 (that would mean that this album is totally shit... and it is not totally shit). 6 is average, not shit. If I would shit on something popular (popular just on MS!) I would give 1 or 2 to lower the rating, but I'm not used to to this. 6 is what it deserves in my opinion.
My comments were intended to bring everyone to use ratings for what they are, and not to give blindly 10 to the band loved or 1 to the band hated. It will give more credibility to this site and the rankings on it.
----
A blink of an eye
A dream for the blind
08.10.2019 - 17:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Is there anything more metal than arguing over album ratings?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.10.2019 - 18:09
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.10.2019 at 17:22

Is there anything more metal than arguing over album ratings?

Arguing over which album didn't get nominated to the MSAs
----

Hits total: 22249 | This month: 18