10. The Night Subscriber
11. Pale Flag
12. Passer
13. Vakaren [CD/DVD and deluxe edition bonus]
14. Sistere [LP and deluxe edition bonus]
15. Wide Awake In Quietus [digital and deluxe edition bonus]
16. Night Comes Down [Judas Priest cover] [Japanese edition bonus]

Additional info
Recorded at Studio Gröndahl, Tri-Lamb Studios and The City of Glass, November 2015 - January 2016.
Produced by Nyström/Renkse.
Engineered by Karl Daniel Lidén.
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, January - February 2016.
Track #13 mixed by Karl Daniel Lidén at Tri-Lamb Studios.
5.1 surround sound mixed by Bruce Soord at Soord Studios.
DVD by Ray Shulman for Isonic.

All songs written and arranged by Katatonia.

Art direction by Nyström/Renkse.
Artwork, design and photography by Travis Smith for Seempiecces.
Bird photography by Laura Meyers.
Band photography by Ester Segarra.

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
If you love Jonas Renske's voice and the softer Katatonia material that never seems to make it on an official LP ("Unfurl", "Sold Heart", "Second", etc...) then this may be your favorite Katatonia album ever. The Fall Of Hearts unfolds like a fairy tale, slowly and carefully, with many unexpected twists to surprise those who hang in there for the entire journey. In an era of instant gratification The Fall Of Hearts is an enigma; it demands a lot of time for small rewards and whether those rewards are worth it will be entirely determined by the person listening.

Read more ››
published 18.08.2016 | Comments (2)

Guest review by
The Massenger
Rating:
Another amazing, depressive, Swedish band returns after four years with a new album entitled The Fall Of Hearts, a name which automatically guides the mind to a repeat of the last album, Dead End Kings, and a continuation of Katatonia's way after Brave Murder Day. Brave Murder Day is one of the best classic doom/death metal albums of all time, and I believe the band was playing every song under The Rain Without End! But after this album, Katatonia's style changed little by little, and that harsh vocal sound, furious like a demon's frustration, has now changed to a beautiful, yet doleful butterfly; it seems like that was the final goal from the beginning. Undoubtedly, four years was enough time for the band to release a new challenge for their fans' ears.

Read more ››
published 25.07.2016 | Comments (2)

Found in 46 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 69   Visited by: 1353 users
26.05.2016 - 22:24
Rating: 10
God Alone
Written by Netzach on 26.05.2016 at 22:11

You are the watcher

Tack så mycket!!
Is it just me or Jonas' pronunciation sounds a bit... weird at times? The "r" I mean. Perhaps it's southern..?
27.05.2016 - 03:41
MelancholiaC
Written by bogdmark on 21.05.2016 at 13:21

Interesting, I think the second half of the album is stronger (Passer is my favorite now), but I like the first half as well. I think this album needs a lot of listening, after the first few play I couldn't remember any melody and it seemed like they were improvising (especially Jonas), but later it becomes clear. So it's not an easy listen but it becomes beautifuI in time. I gave it a 10 because I feel like it will become one of my favorite album from them, but maybe I ranked it too early.

You hit it on the nail man. Don't expect instantly memorable melodies like on Last Fair Deal Gone Down or Viva Emptiness. In fact this probably the least accessible, the most intangible Katatonia album since Discouraged Ones. What Jonas is doing with vocal melodies, I hadn't imagined it possible to this extent - almost "hook-less", but ages beautifully after half a dozen or more listens. Think clean vocals are by rule easier to decipher than harsh vocals? Think again.

IMO Katatonia have done nothing short of reinventing themselves again - Gothic doom metal (1998-2015); Progressive (2016- )
27.05.2016 - 05:01
Rating: 9
Kuroboshi
I was really surprised by this! They had gotten so stale, just repeating the Great Cold Distance. I really like the fresh progressive feel they attained here.
27.05.2016 - 05:04
Kuroboshi
Written by God Alone on 26.05.2016 at 22:24

Written by Netzach on 26.05.2016 at 22:11

You are the watcher

Tack så mycket!!
Is it just me or Jonas' pronunciation sounds a bit... weird at times? The "r" I mean. Perhaps it's southern..?

Nope, his Swedish is super-normal. Stockholm-ish. Very far from Southern Swedish. The reason the "r"s disappear a bit is probably because he's singing. But anyhow, when we speak in normal speed, the "r"s tend to drop. If you pronounce them all correctly, it sounds academic or snobbish.
27.05.2016 - 12:17
God Alone
Written by Kuroboshi on 27.05.2016 at 05:04

If you pronounce them all correctly, it sounds academic or snobbish.

Oh I see, didn't know that. Thanks to you too!
28.05.2016 - 10:22
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'm stunned actually. At first I thought this was their best since "Brave Murder Day". Now I'm thinking it's actually better. I love this. I love the heavier and more progressive approach, some songs sound like Opeth. Biggest surprise of the year.
----
28.05.2016 - 16:19
Rating: 4
Taher M
Just like the last three Albums...its so Repetitive...and boring for me...their old stuff was so much better ...
::
29.05.2016 - 03:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Warman on 28.05.2016 at 10:22

I'm stunned actually. At first I thought this was their best since "Brave Murder Day". Now I'm thinking it's actually better. I love this. I love the heavier and more progressive approach, some songs sound like Opeth. Biggest surprise of the year.

You deaf? This is more or less the same thing they have been doing on evrything after Viva Emtpiness so on their last three new full-lengths.
It might be slightly better than the last two but that is about it. It still is totally inferior to anything Viva Emptiness and earlier.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.05.2016 - 09:06
Maco
Pvt Funderground
That was unmemorable.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
31.05.2016 - 04:30
LordAsterion
Is it wrong for me to say that I don't really like BMD except for the song, "Day". Everything after is fantastic though - I also love all the last three albums they have done as well, so many songs that I like.
31.05.2016 - 06:51
Metal Ninja
This latest album is a very strong release & definitely in their top 3 best albums, the new drummer & guitarist are solid additions to this band adding a new fresh power to their overall sound & some superb solo's along with Anders.
Renkse and Nystrom have done a excellent job with the production too & Jens Bogren(mixed) given this album a huge sound! I'm pleased they have done this album purely because I myself was not been impressed with their previous effort, finding it a little dull & repetitive.
A very good balance to this album and some lengthy tracks too which do not outstay there welcome due to the musicianship that's on show. The last three songs are exceptionally strong with closer track "Passer" fitting end to wonderful album. I can see this album becoming my favourite by this band, time and more listens will tell & may sway me.

A definite contender for top 10 albums of this year.
02.06.2016 - 08:21
MelancholiaC
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.05.2016 at 03:27

Written by Warman on 28.05.2016 at 10:22

You deaf? This is more or less the same thing they have been doing on evrything after Viva Emtpiness so on their last three new full-lengths.
It might be slightly better than the last two but that is about it. It still is totally inferior to anything Viva Emptiness and earlier.

Katatonia have always been the epitome of a polarizing band - is there even any point in debating or just pointing swords at each other any this point?

But if you think they're sounding the same on this album, then you're just stopping at the overall impression and really not engaging with the nuances; everything is different - structure, arrangement, how melodies are utilized, but they may be lost to the casual listener (or ears that have been desensitized by over-indulgence in extreme metal haha). So "surprising" and "progressive" are definitely warranted and substantiated claims.

I am a bit sick of everybody pointing at Brave Murder Day and Viva Emptiness as automatic winners of their discography and dares you to think any different. Have you listened to these albums 30, 50 times? or just half a dozen? After a decade of listening to this band, I can tell you personally they are both great initially but don't necessarily "age the best", especially VE (the most "catchy" album). Play this album 10-15 times and you may feel very differently. Or not. But when it comes to subjective opinion let's just all agree to disagree - I'm 100% against trying to convince someone to love or hate something anyway.
02.06.2016 - 21:08
Rasputin
Still not near Great Cold Distance, but not bad.
03.06.2016 - 00:43
God Alone
^ The MelancholiaC guy up here got a damn point.
03.06.2016 - 13:54
Rating: 7
Sojgenske
Tried to love it more, but cannot...
"Serein", "Sanction" and "The Night Subscriber" are good, the rest is just okay...
2016 is lame so far...
03.06.2016 - 21:57
woodsmoke666
This has easily become one of my favourites of the year so far, which to be fair isn't difficult as its been disappointing compared to last year. I admit, this takes 10+ listenings at least to start to fully appreciate. More progressive and loads of small details to be found make this my favourite Katatonia album in a long time.
----
tokoloshe
05.06.2016 - 16:41
strade
Written by MelancholiaC on 02.06.2016 at 08:21

Katatonia have always been the epitome of a polarizing band - is there even any point in debating or just pointing swords at each other any this point?

But if you think they're sounding the same on this album, then you're just stopping at the overall impression and really not engaging with the nuances; everything is different - structure, arrangement, how melodies are utilized, but they may be lost to the casual listener (or ears that have been desensitized by over-indulgence in extreme metal haha). So "surprising" and "progressive" are definitely warranted and substantiated claims.

I am a bit sick of everybody pointing at Brave Murder Day and Viva Emptiness as automatic winners of their discography and dares you to think any different. Have you listened to these albums 30, 50 times? or just half a dozen? After a decade of listening to this band, I can tell you personally they are both great initially but don't necessarily "age the best", especially VE (the most "catchy" album). Play this album 10-15 times and you may feel very differently. Or not. But when it comes to subjective opinion let's just all agree to disagree - I'm 100% against trying to convince someone to love or hate something anyway.

This is probably the most accurate post regarding Katatonia I've seen. I think that the people complaining about them making the same album over and over again are either a) not listening attentively enough or b) hearing what they want to hear. The mood and style of their music has been in constant evolution since, really, the beginning, and The Fall of Hearts is just the next step of that. If you put on this album and then TGCD immediately afterward, the difference would be staggering.

I'm definitely at odds with the majority when it comes to Viva Emptiness; it's a good album, sure, but to me lacking the emotional depth and sustainability of their more modern works. I actually see these past three albums (along with Tonight's Decision) as the peak of the band.

As you can probably tell, I'm more than satisfied with The Fall of Hearts. I'd say that it's precisely where I wanted the band to go after DEK: more progressive tendencies, the return of NitND's rather dark mood at times, longer and more intricate songs, etc. Even though it's their longest record yet by some distance, it never drags. It ain't perfect ("Last Song Before the Fade" drags it down a bit, to be honest) but the majority of its tracks are top shelf stuff. That a band with this much longevity is still delivering material as consistently great as this is something to behold, and I hope they never throw in the towel.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
07.06.2016 - 16:34
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Although this album seems similar to their recent output, it's quite different. But it's not so apparent after one listen. This album is much more nuanced and intricate. Also, and above all, the songs are much much better, placing "The Fall of Heart" in the upper parts of Katatonia's catalogue.
I don't think one-two listens will let anyone form such an opinion. This album is one of those that do not reveal all their goodness quickly.
16.06.2016 - 13:01
manthraxxx
Cannot stop listening ... Much better than before !!
19.06.2016 - 10:18
Rating: 8
_deepblack
I think this album is really nice after these years Katatonia proved thas its not goin to go down like many of our favorite bands and it has the ability of improvise in its genre which i think made it more popular and still be Katatonia in the mean time
19.06.2016 - 22:28
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Daniell on 07.06.2016 at 16:34

Although this album seems similar to their recent output, it's quite different. But it's not so apparent after one listen. This album is much more nuanced and intricate. Also, and above all, the songs are much much better, placing "The Fall of Heart" in the upper parts of Katatonia's catalogue.
I don't think one-two listens will let anyone form such an opinion. This album is one of those that do not reveal all their goodness quickly.

I agree wholeheartedly, I was hyped af for the album since I'm a huge fanboy and I thought my fanboyism was clouding my judgement, but this album is definitely better than the former 2 albums to say the least. Jonas and co apparently reached the balance they were aiming for since they stated introducing prog elemnts in their songwriting. It ebbs and flows, balanced aggression and extremely impressive vocal performance from Jonas.
God, I love this album!

Edit: Those leads on The Night Subscriber <3
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
19.06.2016 - 22:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Katatonia - The Hall of Farts

I guess I should listen to this at some point. It's hard to want to though.
20.06.2016 - 01:45
God Alone
Old Fart Halls.
Last Fart Before The Fade.
The Fart Subscriber.
Farter.
24.06.2016 - 15:12
Therapy?
I love the new music, much like the former album but slightly improved yet again. However, I cannot rate it over 8 because of the crappy way they exploit bonus tracks. Make sure I can buy an edition of the album that has all your damn tracks on it physically and DEFENITELY do not keep any of your work unavailable for certain regions. -2 points for that.
02.07.2016 - 13:01
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
I dont have any problem with that this has become a pop band as long as it sounds this good. Its even so that the softer songs here is the best ones, as the more uptempo tracks are a bit too generic.
05.07.2016 - 11:59
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
As it always is with Katatonia albums, this record needs at least three good listens to appreciate it in its entirety. Still, I can already say that The Fall of Hearts sounds like the most progressive album the band made up to date, and it sounds mighty good. It won't likely trade places with Viva Emptiness as my favourite disc, but still it has a potential to come close to that.
So far my favourite tracks are Takeover, Shifts, The Night Subscriber, Passer and the bonus track Vakaren (I love hearing Jonas sing in Swedish).
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
29.07.2016 - 19:01
BeneathTheMoon
Account deleted
It is nice to see Katatonia transcend their past with an extremely progressive yet nevertheless faithful, depressive release. I've listened to this album over ten times now and I am still peeling back new layers each and every time. Their best yet.
31.07.2016 - 20:09
Rating: 8
musclassia
Staff
Halfway through, a dramatic improvement over the tedious Dead End Kings. They sound to actually have some drive and inspiration here. There's something about modern Katatonia that means I can't feel any kind of passion for it, only reserved approval, but this is some of their better stuff in a few years

Edit: Okay finished it - this is actually rather good, their best in a while
03.08.2016 - 06:15
drummercrm
Written by musclassia on 31.07.2016 at 20:09

Halfway through, a dramatic improvement over the tedious Dead End Kings. They sound to actually have some drive and inspiration here. There's something about modern Katatonia that means I can't feel any kind of passion for it, only reserved approval, but this is some of their better stuff in a few years

Edit: Okay finished it - this is actually rather good, their best in a while

It truly is one of those albums that gets better the more you revisit it
17.08.2016 - 07:46
Written by drummercrm on 03.08.2016 at 06:15

It truly is one of those albums that gets better the more you revisit it

True. This caught me by surprise, as I'm not a fan of anything they did after Viva. Hated it at first, but now I'm really enjoying it.

Hits total: 25475 | This month: 17