Metal Storm logo
Tiamat

Original post

Posted by Vunts, 18.05.2006 - 19:24
This gothic metal band from Sweden has been an interest of mine for almost two years. I don't remember how i first found out about them, but i know that Prey was the first CD i've heard.

At the moment i still concider Judas Christ to be my favourite of them (for now). But lately i started listening to their death metal days a little and i discovered that even at those times they were a class A band. While not having the extensive use of double-bass, the guitars are really awesome. And the songs created are simply awesome. Every song has at least some parts that i simply love. I mean: Winter Shadow (0:27) has a GREAT guitar line. And Smell of Incense in 0:54 might very well be one of my favourite parts in any death metal song. The ending of Undressed gives me shivers when listened at an appropriate enough volume (shivers for me while listening to music indicate a place of extremely sweet melody [i know my vocabulary is restricted, don't hold it against me please]). Astral Sleep is a great CD and Clouds all the same. Sumerian Cry falls weakest of the three, but is decent nonetheless.
Tiamat is really awesome. I mean, they have tried different things also, but they have always progressed. Death, black, doom, gothic, gothic rock, death/doom, gothic/doom...they have done everything in that area, and all of it near perfectly. I can't get enough of them. And i better get the money to see them live this summer...otherwise i'll be really pissed off!

The CD ranking:
I started looking for public-friendly music a few weeks ago and during that time i found myself enjoying Judas Christ alot. Currently it's my favourite. Even though i have read all those comments about "poprock" etc. I just like the music because it's fast and energetic and just proves that Tiamat has a great diversity and are skilled music creators.

The only original CD that i own is Skeleton Skeletron and it ranks 5th in my current list. The songs on there have great lyrics and melodies, like most of Tiamat's songs.

Astral Sleep and Clouds have risen from the ashes for me. When i first got into Tiamat, i ignored their death/doom days, but this last week i have totally loved the two CDs. Currently occupying the 2nd and 3rd positions. Astral Sleep leading.

Wildhoney has a few AWESOME songs, like Gaia and Planets and also a generally good feel, but it doesn't get higher than 4th position.

Deeper Kind of Slumber and Prey switch positions more often than i switch socks. Both have great songs, great atmospheres and great vocals, but i can never decide which exactly comes out on top. So 6th and 7th spots.

Sumerian Cry ranks the lowest, but it isn't a bad record. Definately not! I just haven't been in the mood for that type of black metal (yup, i read from a few places that SC is more of a black metal than death metal. And all the points brought out were proven reasonably).

Poll

The usual

I like them
Hadn't heard of them before this thread
I only like the old days -> Clouds
I dislike them

Total votes: 73
23.10.2006 - 03:40
Megadeth88
Tiamat is a good band in my opinion. Despite them changing genres on every album. Though it is nice to hear what other ideas this band still has.
23.10.2006 - 13:11
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I love this band they make me feel soooooooo sad and happy at the same time....
I especially like their song Gaia and Visionaire
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
25.03.2007 - 12:09
Anathemani@c
I like many alboums from Tiamat.. Clouds, The Astral Sleep, Pray and Wildhoney.. Preety good alboums imo. And another clue: Johan Edlung lives in my hometown, Thessaloniki! We drink together beers!:drunk:
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
26.03.2007 - 16:30
xymox
I like all albums but mostly Wildhoney & Clouds
----
"...........Love can be as cold as grave
A one-way ticket to endless sorrow
An empire of gentle hate
Today without tomorrow..."

....As I now fall... fall into deprivation
Fall... fallen theres till tomorrow
Love hides the things youll
07.05.2007 - 21:18
baldur
i actually heared my first tiamat song (cain) in the game vampire: the masquerade but there was no songtitle nor bandname so i searched for 3 years now to find out what the name of this band is
today i found out and downloaded some of their albums and im really impressed i actually dont like gothic but this band is awesome im allways getting so melancholic then i listen to cain^^
07.05.2007 - 21:44
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by xymox on 26.03.2007 at 16:30

Same here, I likve all Tiamat phases and I love new albums, but Wildhoney and Clouds are among my all time metal albums, those releases are classics. All songs are top quality and I think that Clouds and Wildhoney influenced many bands to create their own music.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
07.05.2007 - 23:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by APOHAKC on 07.05.2007 at 21:44

Written by xymox on 26.03.2007 at 16:30

Same here, I likve all Tiamat phases and I love new albums, but Wildhoney and Clouds are among my all time metal albums, those releases are classics. All songs are top quality and I think that Clouds and Wildhoney influenced many bands to create their own music.

I agree I like all but still first 4 are more important how leither albums but time goes and I learn to lsiten leither albums but not after 2000
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.07.2007 - 20:32
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I discovered this band like two days ago. Checked some videos on youTube and I really liked them, the gothic stuff you know I'm not into death much. I loved the video for "Brighter than the sun", you know, the guy dressed like a toreador against the giant truck, really really amazing, and mom liked the vocalist, hehe. I'm getting their albums now.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
05.07.2007 - 21:35
Grey_Dandelion
wildhoney and a deeper kind of slumber are my favourites..the others arent bad but nothing special
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
07.07.2007 - 04:12
Bitch Boy
I'm recently getting into them. I've only heard 4 o 5 songs and I liked what I heard. Which's the best album to begin with??
07.07.2007 - 10:43
Grey_Dandelion
Written by Bitch Boy on 07.07.2007 at 04:12

I'm recently getting into them. I've only heard 4 o 5 songs and I liked what I heard. Which's the best album to begin with??

i said them above..thats my proposal
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
07.07.2007 - 14:09
Graveheart
Written by Bitch Boy on 07.07.2007 at 04:12

I'd follow the above poster's suggestion and try Wildhoney & A Deeper Kind of Slumber, because this band keeps changing a lot and those two albums are neatly placed in the middle of their discography. If you like the Slumber album more, chances are you will get easier into the new era. I haven't heard the earlier albums but I guess Wildhoney represents them quite well (more than Slumber does anyway). Depends also which 4 or 5 songs you heard and liked.

Any idea what Tiamat has been doing lately? Just wondering because they haven't released anything since the DVD in 2004.
07.07.2007 - 15:34
Vunts
There was a best of compilation released in February this year. But other than that...I can't say I know anything either.
07.07.2007 - 17:51
Grey_Dandelion
i believe that the course of tiamat and therion in metal music has many similarities-one man s bands actually both begun as pure death metal bands almost the same period and by the passing of time softened their music gothic-oriented tiamat and symphonic-oriented therion reaching their opus at wildhoney the first,theli the second released almost the same period in which the mix of their elements was perfect!the transformation continued and eventually the death metal elements were completely-or almost-vanished making therion asymphonic metal band and tiamat agothic metal one!personally i think that the middle days of the bands were their best and i really miss them
----
08.07.2007 - 20:56
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
I think I've heard almost everything Tiamat has composed. And I do like very much, from the newer gothic rock-ish stuff to the older deathish stuff. However, my favorite albums are the ones between these two phases: Clouds (for its surreal feeling, death/doomish riffs, the beautiful melodies and the dreamy atmosphere), Wildhoney (for its varied sound throughout the album, the psychedelic influences and all) and A Deeper Kind of Slumber (for its insane experimentalism). I think Tiamat is a better band when they experiment more, blending different styles and influences all together (like they did on these three albums), instead of sticking to a single genre. I hope their next album will really surprise me. I wouldn't be shocked, though, if they switched to something completely different, like jumping to some ethereal Dead Can Dance-ish stuff.
Also, just one more thing before I forget... Johan's vocals are the fucking best!
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
08.07.2007 - 21:59
Vunts
I don't think there is much room for experimentation on the new album. I mean, they have gone from death/doom to gothic in a rather straight line, but I can't imagine how they would progress from the gothic area. I think they will combine two styles that they have already used. Maybe the style from A Deeper Kind of Slumber and the sound of Prey, but well...it's all just thoughts. No definite truth based in it whatsoever.

Haven't listened to them in such a long time that I will re-familiarize myself today thanks to this thread getting revived.
08.07.2007 - 22:01
Bitch Boy
@ Dandelion and Graveheart: I see, I think that the middle albums are the best for someone to get into a band in cases like this one, in which style is constantly changing. Thanks for the recommendation!!
19.07.2007 - 13:45
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Metal Videos has uploaded 39 minutes video footage shot at a 1995 TIAMAT concert in in Düsseldorf (Germany) and you can watch it at this location.
16.02.2008 - 11:39
FOOCK Nam
I have some few songs of Tiamat. For a song Cain, IMO they put psychedelic element in it. So I wonder which album of Tiamat is psychedelic influenced? And is Prey most psychedelic? (No one has mention concretely about that album above). And I heard that they also have doom element, as for Clouds mentioned above... what about the firt two: Sumerian Cry and The Astral Sleep?

As for my opinion of Tiamat: I love their lyric of Brighter Than The Sun. I think I like alleged like Cain even it has my anti-element psychedelic.
16.02.2008 - 20:09
Vunts
mmm, about psychedelic, I think A Deeper Kind of Slumber was most like that, but I haven't listened to them in a long time, so I could be mistaken.

Sumerian Cry wasn't doom. That was almost purely black metal, with a bit deathish influence. Or the other way around, I don't remember =P

Astral Sleep was a bit doomy tho as I remember, but Wildhoney was the most doom release if I remember correctly.

The thing that I do know however (great news in my opinion!)
The upcoming Tiamat album "Amanethes" has a new releasedate; 18th of April 2008. The album will be mixed in Studio Woodhouse in January.
17.02.2008 - 11:10
FOOCK Nam
Thanks dude. What about Judas Christ and Skeleton Skeletron, and Prey? That would be my final question
17.02.2008 - 19:28
Vunts
Judas Christ is...the "happiest" release from the band, with loads of rocky and catchy tunes. As far as I've read from multiple reviews, the CD is generally disliked, because the band apparently "sold out" "their sound", but I think there are plenty of awesome songs, like Vote for Love and Angel's Holograms (those are the two that I remember) from the faster songs. The slow songs didn't suffer from anything either.

Of Skeleton Skeletron, that is the only Tiamat CD that I have in it's original case. I flipped a coin to decide if I'd buy Skeleton or Prey and I don't regret buying SS. The music there...hmm...rather melancholic. A few rockish songs (Brighter Than the Sun), but mostly the album is quite much on the gothic metal edge...and no, I don't mean some girly whining, which is closer to "emo", I mean gothic like it was known in the beginning of the 90s (at least from what I've understood from texts, seen as I didn't listen to metal myself during the 90s). If you're looking for doom elements, then this album doesn't have any.

Prey...the first album I heard of this band and which instantly compelled me...I don't remember much of the music, but it definately wasn't a copy of any previous album. In fact, the only albums that have a distinctive similarity are Clouds and Astral Sleep. All of the rest have different ideas and different soundcapes that they are discovering.

I'm sorry that I can't give more....credible responses to releases other than Skeleton Skeletron, because I don't know where the DVD with all the songs is, so I based everything else off my memory...but it's good if I managed to answer at least a bit of your inquiries.
21.02.2008 - 11:29
FOOCK Nam
I've been listened to the song Carry Your Cross Ill Carry Mine from Prey. Quite beautiful song and beautiful female vocal and stunning me 'cause I thought this album is full of psychedelic but this song shows different result. Do you know who is in charge of female vocal on that song? I searched but found non result in MA, and unfortunately Tiamat website forgone. I would recommend this song to all Tiamat fans.
21.02.2008 - 16:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I don't like them... I just don't know why...

I'm not into their stuff... very boring for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.03.2008 - 01:15
Vunts
Written by Vunts on 08.07.2007 at 21:59

I don't think there is much room for experimentation on the new album. I mean, they have gone from death/doom to gothic in a rather straight line, but I can't imagine how they would progress from the gothic area. I think they will combine two styles that they have already used. Maybe the style from A Deeper Kind of Slumber and the sound of Prey, but well...it's all just thoughts. No definite truth based in it whatsoever.

Haven't listened to them in such a long time that I will re-familiarize myself today thanks to this thread getting revived.

The new album actually seems quite like what I thought. The songs are quite ADKoS, but the production is more like Prey.
HOWEVER, what I wasn't prepared for, was doublebass drumming and growling (sort of. like a mix between Sumerian Cry and Clouds) vocals, with some blackish riffs. I did enjoy Edlund's clean voice a lot, but the growlish syle he has, doesn't bother me that much.
In conclusion, I will add this album to my collection when it is released and my opinion of Tiamat being one of the few bands who can make distinctive albums without completely changing their genre, still stands.
18.04.2008 - 14:02
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Tiamat is one of my favorite bands and i like them so much. my favorite album of tiamat is "Wildhoney" and favoite song is "Whatever That Hurts" they rule
.their really disgusting work is music video of "Vote For Love" for me.
22.04.2008 - 12:28
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
tiamat is so good , the band is very active and heavy , one of the best songs that I like that is " Mount Marilyn "
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
24.04.2008 - 16:32
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
>>New album streaming online<<

Swedish metallers Tiamat are currently streaming its entire new album, entitled "Amanethes", on their MySpace page [Link]. Enjoy.
21.08.2008 - 19:29
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
Good band, I've recently been getting into them and I like what I've heard. Dark atmosphere, really nice. I haven't listened to their Death material though.
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
12.01.2009 - 23:01
Metalbound7
I love the Gothic atmosphere and the feeling they give to every song. great Gothic/Doom Metal band