Metal Storm logo
Nine Inch Nails

29.05.2006 - 20:31
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Anybody likes this awesome band (or just the guy behind the great music)?
Trent Reznor has made great music in the past. With Teeth isn't his best album. But he sure has made some albums that are high on my list of favorite albums.

I love The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile is great too. I own both albums, together with the Broken EP and Pretty Hate Machine.

Who else likes this unique music?
29.05.2006 - 23:18
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Wouldnt really call it that unique but this doesnt mean that Trant doesnt have really good songwriting and producion/arrangement skills. NIN has always been the best example of a commercial band that is at the same time unapologetically extreme and explicit in its message, without toning or censoring anything down. I cant think of any other example quite like this in popular culture.
30.05.2006 - 00:17
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Me neither.

But if there's something that's just as noisy but at the same time at a very high emotional level, please let me know!
The Downward Spiral is such a depressing piece, there are not many albums that've caught me like this one.
The Becoming, Eraser, I Do Not Want This, Reptile, Downward Spiral and of course, Hurt.
And there are several other examples as well. The combination of the great arrangements, the quite extreme sounds and Trents voice is just awesome to listen to.
01.06.2006 - 12:47
Coté
Just heard one song, but they are good.
----
::...Am I awake? Am I asleep? I am only sure of one thing. I am a monster ...::
16.06.2006 - 09:58
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Nine Inch Nails - US Tour Set-List :

Somewhat Damaged
You Know What You Are?
Sin
Terrible Lie
March of The Pigs
Something I Can Never Have
Closer
Burn
Gave Up
Help Me I'm in Hell
Non-Entity
Only
Wish
La Mer
Into the Void
The Big Come Down
Dead Souls
Suck
Down In It
Hurt
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like a Hole
----
Your favorite band sucks.
23.06.2006 - 12:10
PinguMortalTrash
Account deleted
Hi all , do you know Filter ?

=> Filter was formed by ex-Nine Inch Nails member Richard Patrick (electric guitar) he chose to leave Nine Inch Nails in 1992.
Music Style => Metal, Industrial and sometimes electronic , like in the album The Amalgamut.
We find some melodies of Nine Inch Nails in Filter but that remains completely different.

[ Sorry , I'm French and my English is really rots ... ]

Ronan.
23.06.2006 - 13:09
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Filter is more alt. metal than industrial and they are not that bad...
They play second fiddle behind the likes of Stabbing Westward and Gravity Kills though.
23.06.2006 - 21:59
-Valhalla-
Written by Twilight on 29.05.2006 at 20:31

Anybody likes this awesome band (or just the guy behind the great music)?
Trent Reznor has made great music in the past. With Teeth isn't his best album. But he sure has made some albums that are high on my list of favorite albums.

I love The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile is great too. I own both albums, together with the Broken EP and Pretty Hate Machine.

Who else likes this unique music?

With Teeth is definately a good album. "Right where it belongs" is a great song, it's really deep, and i like it.
----
A decapitated head could remain conscious for up to 30 seconds after being removed, offering the victim a truly unique perspective on the world for those last few moments.
24.06.2006 - 01:47
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Trent Reznor is a genius and With Teeth is just another step in his evolution and maturation. "Sunspots"........wow. (I love the turkey carver sound.) "Only" takes us back to the Pretty Hate Machine era with the "Down In It" style vocals. The Fragile is by far his best work, play this double album on a long road trip.... it is fantastic. I also recommend "Things Falling Apart" the remix album, if you liked the Fragile, contains some good tracks. My personal favorie album is "Still." If you want to find a warm place within your mind that is the album to do it with. "And all that could have been" (the track) is my favorite song. The acoustic versions and melancholy piano pieces are euphoric, definitely check it out if you are a fan.
24.06.2006 - 21:13
Abortion
Account deleted
Trent really knows what he's doing, the music is such fantastic. It's hard to say what's the best song, but right now I'm listening to 'The Hand That Feeds'
25.06.2006 - 19:38
thehumanpathogen
Account deleted
Definately. Nine Inch Nails is amazing; My favorite album is the Fragile. I feel it expresses the other side of Trent's writing. Good Stuff.
08.07.2006 - 06:55
Telrédion86
Account deleted
I enjoyed not only the song but the video for "Only". I hadn't seen anyone do a video quite like that before, using that "pins and needles" imprint visual effect. I don't know; was he the first to do anything like that? I'd like to know because I thought it was pretty creative. The song is good too; I like the beat.

I've heard from fans who have met him in person that he's a jerk. Any truth to that?
08.07.2006 - 12:44
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
The video was directed by David Fincher (yeah, the guy who made Se7en and Fight Club) so if you think the video is creative, Trent is not the one who deserves the praise for it. NIN always had great videos, especially the ones Mark Romanek directed (Closer, Perfect Drug). The one for "Only" is actually IMO fairly uninventive since it doesnt have any real meaning behind it, it just looks like somebody is showing off a cool CGI effect...
08.07.2006 - 16:03
Telrédion86
Account deleted
Oh yeah, the one for "Perfect Drug" was great! I liked the lighting and the scenery. "Closer" was alright; I've seen the unedited version also. I liked that floating effect and Trent's goggles.

Well the CGI effect in "Only" just looked cool I thought, that's all. I see your point though, that it doesn't convey any lyrical meaning I guess. :-/

I haven't seen their other videos yet so I might comment on them later.
09.07.2006 - 06:53
Ibanez07
Account deleted
'We're in This Together Now' is a pretty good song...but nothing else really does it for me. In my own opinion Trent Reznor is really entirely too overrated. To me he's the poor man's Shagrath [different genre's but same idea- musical mastermind of the group].
09.07.2006 - 17:00
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
I never really cared for Nine Inch Nails. I heard Closer and almost instantly was turned off by the music. His version of what some call industrial metal just doesn't cut it for me. Too electronic, not enough of a mechanical sound in it. I guess, being the fan of industrial music that I am, I don't want keyboards so much as jackhammers in my music, a la Einstürzende Neubauten.
14.07.2006 - 13:27
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by [user id=5724] on 09.07.2006 at 06:53

'We're in This Together Now' is a pretty good song...but nothing else really does it for me. In my own opinion Trent Reznor is really entirely too overrated. To me he's the poor man's Shagrath [different genre's but same idea- musical mastermind of the group].

Yeah either poor or oblivious. Most people who listen to NIN have never even heard of Dimmu. Trent probably seems overrated because of the popularity factor, but you can't compare these genres. It is just too redundant. It's good to have some variety in your life, like some days i'll want to hear NIN, while other days I'll be in the mood for some Dimmu Borgir. I like the way you pointed out the similarities though.

Written by [user id=14673] on 09.07.2006 at 17:00

I never really cared for Nine Inch Nails. I heard Closer and almost instantly was turned off by the music. His version of what some call industrial metal just doesn't cut it for me. Too electronic, not enough of a mechanical sound in it. I guess, being the fan of industrial music that I am, I don't want keyboards so much as jackhammers in my music, a la Einstürzende Neubauten.

I've come to understand that Industrial fans abhor NIN for the blasphemous way that the Industrial label is misused. Electronic rock with pop song structure seems to be more appropriate. Would you care to recommend any industrial music that is worth checking out? Always up for a good listen...
16.07.2006 - 05:32
Nyctophobia
Account deleted
Lol, I think "blasphemous" is a rather strong word, lol.

But, again, I'll say SPK, early Laibach (pre Opus Dei), Throbbing Gristle and early Einstürzende Neubauten.
10.08.2006 - 00:01
Sakaftor
Account deleted
"Blasphemous"...pfft, whatever. Haha! And no, you can't compare Dimmu Borgir to NIN...I like both of 'em personally, although NIN is better. Hehe, the song Head Like A Hole really got me into them...GREAT song.
10.08.2006 - 20:58
Slasktotten
Account deleted
hmm, well i pretty much worship NiN =P, so naturally, i think they've done a lot of fantastic songs, like: eraser, piggy, fragile, somewhat damaged... i could go on forever.
18.12.2006 - 02:51
blacknight
Account deleted
Have any of you seen this? It is truly mindblowing!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYgkmTEZB2c
Thats something every NIN fan should make their duty to check out. You dig?
18.12.2006 - 09:36
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
No big surprise there, Ministry was also a synthpop band before they started experimenting with metal. Admittedly though, Trent stayed much closer to his roots over the years...
20.12.2006 - 01:27
Southern Wind
Account deleted
sorry for going off-topic, but about Ministry being synth-pop at first, there are a few songs in "With Sympathy" that had been a nice guilty pleasure for years.
20.12.2006 - 03:15
Bitch Boy
I like this band but I used to listen to them much more than I do now. My fav songs are "March of the pigs" and the cover of Joy Division's "Dead Souls".
23.12.2006 - 23:40
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
NIN is great, I've always quite enjoyed them, probably since the mid to late 90's..between Downward Spiral and The Fragile. It amazes me at how Trent does so well with such simplistic lyrics, I guess it's the way he places them and the momentum of the music, it's amazing stuff regardless. The Downward Spiral is definitely the best imo.
23.12.2006 - 23:40
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
NIN is great, I've always quite enjoyed them, probably since the mid to late 90's..between Downward Spiral and The Fragile. It amazes me at how Trent does so well with such simplistic lyrics, I guess it's the way he places them and the momentum of the music, it's amazing stuff regardless. The Downward Spiral is definitely the best imo.
24.12.2006 - 16:22
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Written by [user id=14673] on 09.07.2006 at 17:00

If you were looking for the mechanical sounds and raw songs you picked the wrong song to listen to. Closer is quite a mellow song and indeed a lot of electronic. You should try Eraser, Reptile or Pilgrimage for example. Those songs are great.
By the way, how do you define a mechanical sound? To me mechanical sounds are often sounds from synthesizers, thus electronic. But guitars with heavy distortion can also sound mechanical, depending on the way the distortion is configured.
24.12.2006 - 23:24
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i only really liked Nine inch Nails when i was younger...i kinda grew out of them as i got older when i discovered Godflesh and Skinny Puppy....Pretty Hate Machine and Broken are still good albums though

and i never got why head like a hole was the Popular song on Pretty hate machine....i always thought Terrible lie was alot better
08.01.2007 - 01:50
RevolutionNine
Account deleted
New NIN album = April 17th.

possibly.
26.01.2007 - 05:57
LethargyMan
I only own The Fragile and it's a damn fine album... and I actually like NIN because they are a mesh between usual pop-rock structures and the obscure. I always refrain from calling them an industrial band, though, because while NIN has an industrial flavour and industrial tendencies, they're not even near the ball park of bands like Skinny Puppy or Einstürzende Neubauten (which is just a brilliant act all around).
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.