Heavenwood - Abyss Masterpiece

8.4 | 290 votes |
Release date: 14 March 2011
Style: Gothic doom metal

Owners:

271 have it
38 want it

01. The Arcadia Order
02. Morning Glory Clouds (In Manus Tuas Domine)
03. GoddessPresidingOverSolitude
04. Once A Burden
05. Winter Slave
06. Leonor
07. Poem For Matilde
08. Fading Sun
09. September Blood
10. Sudden Scars
11. Like Yesterday
12. Her Lament

Staff review by
Doc G.
Rating:
Putting "masterpiece" in the title of your album is an incredibly hefty claim, and definitely needs backing up. You better be damned sure what you've created will not only standout in your own catalogue as the proud centrepiece of your career, but also knock down any potential competition. Well, as much as I'd hate to support such self-righteous boasting, Heavenwood really hit it home with this one.

Read more ››
published 04.04.2011 | Comments (29)

Great riffs, great melodies, epic synths, and plenty of variety out the wazzoo. An incredibly deep sounding album no matter how you slice it. A must-hear for anyone who is looking for some top-notch 2011 releases.

Fun for the whole family.

Doc Godin's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Ag Fox, KwonVerge

Found in 39 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 40   Visited by: 929 users
25.03.2011 - 15:50
MechanisT
Account deleted
A great surprise! I was initially drawn to the cover, but didn't think that the music would be this good! Gothic metal just the way I like it.
04.04.2011 - 19:19
Rating: 10
DarkSwan
Great album. and tht's it!
05.04.2011 - 06:33
Karwyn
It's just criminal how a band that should be on top of the world had to go underground due to unfortunate business decisions. Truly awesome album in every way shape and form!
07.04.2011 - 14:54
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Karwyn on 05.04.2011 at 06:33

It's just criminal how a band that should be on top of the world had to go underground due to unfortunate business decisions. Truly awesome album in every way shape and form!

What kind of business decisions, may I ask?
07.04.2011 - 23:15
Karwyn
Written by [user id=109200] on 07.04.2011 at 14:54

From what I can gather (hardly any specific info seems to be out there), they were ripped off by their old label and were pressured into churning out the same kinds of albums without musically evolving. Pretty typical stuff for musicians but it seems to have hit them harder than most. They also had some internal problems such as Ernesto just "disappearing" for two years.
09.04.2011 - 13:02
FiaLotta
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Doc Godin for picking this. I would have missed this masterpiece otherwise.
<3
09.04.2011 - 14:32
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Karwyn on 07.04.2011 at 23:15

Written by [user id=109200] on 07.04.2011 at 14:54

From what I can gather (hardly any specific info seems to be out there), they were ripped off by their old label and were pressured into churning out the same kinds of albums without musically evolving. Pretty typical stuff for musicians but it seems to have hit them harder than most. They also had some internal problems such as Ernesto just "disappearing" for two years.

Thanks for the insight, mate.
09.04.2011 - 19:16
Rating: 8
DevilishSong
I am not Gothic Metal fan firmly but i must confess that "Abyss Masterpiece" is Really a good album! ... My fav is " Poem For Matilde"
11.04.2011 - 15:16
Luneth
Account deleted
Excellent album. Some really brilliant tracks.
26.04.2011 - 18:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by DevilishSong on 09.04.2011 at 19:16

I am not Gothic Metal fan firmly but i must confess that "Abyss Masterpiece" is Really a good album! ... My fav is " Poem For Matilde"

I wouldn't call it a Gothic metal album really. Overall it's aggressive and the guitars take away from the atmosphere, making it more of a melodic death doom album. Similar to Draconian (minus the chick, plus balls) and Swallow the Sun (minus the self-pity, plus anger). And it's pretty fun, but I wouldn't give it credit for anything more than that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.05.2011 - 01:57
Rating: 6
The Voyager
The Table
Masterpiece my ass.
23.05.2011 - 22:58
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Wow. This is a very great album-- not quite the masterpiece that people have proclaimed it to be, but worthy enough for a 9. The sheer catchiness and strong songwriting of these tunes are enough to warrant an 8-- the lyricism is lacking in parts, but the vocals are comprehensible and very well done. I haven't seen multiple vocals done this well since Noumena's Absence. I do wish there was a little more technicality to it, and perhaps a few more segments of harsher vocals, but this is quite a special accomplishment nonetheless. In fact, what propels this to a 9 for me is how these musicians have completely and utterly mastered how to convey emotion, particularly melancholy and frustration. My first experience with Heavenwood, and it certainly will not be my last.
03.06.2011 - 19:32
Vonpire
Heavenwood did It again! They never fail \oo/
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
04.06.2011 - 05:27
Pyramid God
Wow. Great album. Its really beautifully arranged. I can't get enough.
14.06.2011 - 17:21
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Leonor is the best track on here.
17.06.2011 - 14:25
Vonpire
The more I listen the more I like It.
----
11.07.2011 - 10:11
Night Sight
That was my first listen with heavenwood
and it did not impressed me
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
13.07.2011 - 07:55
Rating: 8
Destructo
It's a pretty solid album, don't get me wrong.....but it's definitely no masterpiece.
05.08.2011 - 10:38
muska
Written by Night Sight on 11.07.2011 at 10:11

and i did not impressed

like no one is impressed with your grammar. if you don't like the music, it's fine, but if you judge the lyrics having only basic knowledge of English then I pity you...
05.08.2011 - 13:13
Night Sight
Written by muska on 05.08.2011 at 10:38

like no one is impressed with your grammar. if you don't like the music, it's fine, but if you judge the lyrics having only basic knowledge of English then I pity you...

wtf? we're talking about music,not lyrics or english speaking
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
07.08.2011 - 20:58
muska
Written by Night Sight on 05.08.2011 at 13:13

Written by muska on 05.08.2011 at 10:38

wtf? we're talking about music,not lyrics or english speaking

common sense looks lost to you so i stand by my original statement
08.08.2011 - 05:19
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by muska on 07.08.2011 at 20:58

common sense looks lost to you so i stand by my original statement

She didn't even mention lyrics and simply because her English isn't flawless that means she can't comment on the music?

Although how someone could give this a '2' is beyond me, I quite enjoyed the album.
08.08.2011 - 05:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Ya a 2 is pretty harsh, but obviously she didn't mention the lyrics so her understanding of the English language doesn't really come into play here. It's just a matter of differing opinions.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.08.2011 - 14:03
muska
That was exactly my point in the original post, how can someone judge an album if they don't even understand it. I always thought that if you rate something you take into account the whole product judging a book by it's cover springs to mind
11.08.2011 - 10:54
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by muska on 09.08.2011 at 14:03

That was exactly my point in the original post, how can someone judge an album if they don't even understand it. I always thought that if you rate something you take into account the whole product judging a book by it's cover springs to mind

Consider Falconer's latest, I can't understand a word of the lyrics, would I therefore be incapable of judging the music? Lyrics are a great part of music, sure, but not an essential element I would say.
13.09.2011 - 19:54
Vonpire

I don't really think lyrics or English has something to be called here.

But how someone rates this album with a "pure shit" is definitely something anyone with at least minimal metal knowledge will never understand, simply cause it's ridiculous. It's not even a matter of taste. Even anyone who don't like it, which is ok, can't rate this with a 2. It's simply nonsense.
----
18.09.2011 - 14:22
Rating: 6
Draugen
Far from a masterpiece but good nonetheless.
23.09.2011 - 20:49
Night Sight
Written by Vonpire on 13.09.2011 at 19:54

and i did not impressed

I don't really think lyrics or English has something to be called here.

But how someone rates this album with a "pure shit" is definitely something anyone with at least minimal metal knowledge will never understand, simply cause it's ridiculous. It's not even a matter of taste. Even anyone who don't like it, which is ok, can't rate this with a 2. It's simply nonsense.

i just think this is very boring album.there is no interesting moments in this album.i like the genre very much.but it is not my type of music.it is all about the taste in music and nothing more.just this
and i respect to all the people who love this album
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
29.09.2011 - 16:53
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
I just upped my rating.

Subsequent listens have proven this to be a totally different album than I heard the first several times. Only now am I seeing how incredibly DIFFERENT each and every song is, yet how beautifully they bleed into each other. At first it was a gorgeous, well-composed album with some great melodies and moods. Now I finally see the masterpiece It's almost startling how many different styles our composer has weaved in and yet made work together. Stunning.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
29.09.2011 - 19:25
Vonpire
Written by Susan on 29.09.2011 at 16:53

I just upped my rating.

Subsequent listens have proven this to be a totally different album than I heard the first several times. Only now am I seeing how incredibly DIFFERENT each and every song is, yet how beautifully they bleed into each other. At first it was a gorgeous, well-composed album with some great melodies and moods. Now I finally see the masterpiece It's almost startling how many different styles our composer has weaved in and yet made work together. Stunning.

That's my exact thought on this album.

But hey, it's something heavenwood always did since beggining, amazing albums. I'm glad to see how they born and how they evolved.
----

Hits total: 20375 | This month: 10