02. Fall With Me
03. The Lies I Sire
04. Bring Me Victory
05. Echoes From A Hollow Soul
06. ShadowHaunt
07. Santuario Di Sangue
08. A Chapter In Loathing
09. Death Triumphant

Look, I just cut myself, this violin sounds like a razor blade slicing my arteries. Now let me read some Shakespeare to you. Pain. Suffering. My ex-girlfriend. Religion. Violins as razors again. Crimson red drops of blood meandering like the wine from the Holy Grail. Your ex-girlfriend. Pain. Violins. Shakespeare. Latin references, look how deep I am. Bleeding love. Now look, I'm angry for a moment!!! Speed. I'm angry!!! AAAAA... OK, now, I'm sad again. Depression. Shattered passion. Violins. Pain. Goodbye.

Come on, we all know this is precisely what My Dying Bride does on every single album including the more experimental ones. If this is your kind of thing, For Lies I Sire will be right up your alley, just like all the other albums by this band. It's not my kind of thing though. To me, pseudo-romantic, overwrought whining like this is quite annoying, frankly. Truly depressed people don't broadcast their pathetic stories in 10 albums, don't recite Shakespearean poetry and don't threaten to commit suicide. They just fucking do it. Preferably in an amusing way, such as by jumping from a building on an old lady. Or by running into a mall with dynamite up their ass. Life is just a cruel joke anyway, right? Well, laugh at this, society!

For Lies I Sire is the first My Dying Bride album to feature violins since Like Gods Of The Sun and as a consequence sounds quite similar to that record. In other words, it is slightly faster and more straight-forward than usual, has more crunchy riffs and steers clear of growled vocals. The exception to this is "A Chapter In Loathing", a weird song with blastbeats and strangely screeched vocals, ironically the only enjoyable piece here. The other tracks follow the band's trademark template as described above and they do it... averagely at best. So if you love this band, the album will be a decent one, or perhaps a slightly above average one for you.

The music on For Lies I Sire has some moments but that doesn't take away from the fact that still, after all these years, the best My Dying Bride songs are those that throw their formula out of the window. Which is what I will happily do now with this CD. Hopefully it will hit an old lady right on the head.

Written on 22.04.2009 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 180   Visited by: 467 users
22.04.2009 - 13:26
quirin
Neverending whining never was my cup of tea either. I'll pass.
Funny review, by the way - I laughed my ass off reading the first paragraph!
22.04.2009 - 17:46
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I was rather reluctant about checking this record. Now this review killed the last drop of interest. Good job
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
22.04.2009 - 17:49
Rating: 8
WarMaster
I give it a 9 for a true Bride fan
22.04.2009 - 17:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
All in all a mediocre album with as absolute lowpoint their pathetic attempt at playing some black metal. (A Chapter In Loathing). But I stil think it is better than A Line Of Deathless Kings.
Not only has their music deteriorated but also their artwork, Aaron should do that himself again.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.04.2009 - 18:02
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Disguisting review. I dont like this album but this review is about whole MDB's works and its so mean. I dont know why ppl write reivews about important bands when they hate them! If you hate MDB why the hell you listened all of their albums?!!! and if you hate them why dont you waste your time to write another reviews?

so sorry for this review buy a staff member.
22.04.2009 - 19:31
Mr.Wilson
Another review based solely on personal taste, that's sad. That's why some reviews will never be recognized outside metalstorm and that's a shame because we have a lot of good reviewers here, but you're not one of them and i have read your reviews. OK! this is not the best MDB album, but it still reflects what they are, a romantic doom band, love it or hate it is what they are..and i love it. I f you don't like the whole concept don't bother writing about it. And please Metalstorm.com next time you choose to review something make it fair. hate and disgust about a band don't make a review at all.MDB Could have done better but but it is not an awful album...
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
22.04.2009 - 19:43
silenius
Reviews are not to be written only by people who likes the music, but to reflect upon what you are listening to, and if hes not a fan and feel bored by this music he has every right in the world to write a review about it, and so does everyone else.

to keep this short, boring album, boring band, great review!
22.04.2009 - 20:42
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Mr.Wilson on 22.04.2009 at 19:31

Another review based solely on personal taste, that's sad. That's why some reviews will never be recognized outside metalstorm and that's a shame because we have a lot of good reviewers here, but you're not one of them and i have read your reviews. OK! this is not the best MDB album, but it still reflects what they are, a romantic doom band, love it or hate it is what they are..and i love it. I f you don't like the whole concept don't bother writing about it. And please Metalstorm.com next time you choose to review something make it fair. hate and disgust about a band don't make a review at all.MDB Could have done better but but it is not an awful album...

thanks, you wrote better than me. its what I exacly meant.
22.04.2009 - 21:21
Rating: 6
Ask
This was intensely disappointing. Their second worst album in their discography only to 34.788%.
22.04.2009 - 22:54
Reizenstein
I don't see the issue here. jupi listens to an album (hopefully with an open mind), finds he doesn't like it, and poke fun at said band in a review.

I havn't heard the album, so I'm not going to comment on that, but it annoys me that as soon as someone doesn't like an album you like, said person is not allowed to write anything about it. I mean, come on, it's music...

Just my two, and quite huble at that, cents.
----
Growl
22.04.2009 - 23:29
Sulvrot
The problem I have with this review is not that it says that the album is bad, but the fact that it is essentially mocking not only the album, not even only the band, but the entire gothic metal genre. It's fine if you don't like an album, but if you don't even like the style it's made in, please don't make a review. I, for instance, would never write a review of a Kelly Clarkson album, since I hate her whole genre of music, and know that it would be impossible for me to write a fair review. Leave the pop fans to review their pop albums, and the goth fans to review their goth albums, please. If you really want to broadcast your hate of an entire genre of music, do so in a blog post or some similar forum. I thought the review was funny and I enjoyed reading it, but it has no business actually being a review.
22.04.2009 - 23:51
Mr.Wilson
Written by Sulvrot on 22.04.2009 at 23:29

The problem I have with this review is not that it says that the album is bad, but the fact that it is essentially mocking not only the album, not even only the band, but the entire gothic metal genre. It's fine if you don't like an album, but if you don't even like the style it's made in, please don't make a review. I, for instance, would never write a review of a Kelly Clarkson album, since I hate her whole genre of music, and know that it would be impossible for me to write a fair review. Leave the pop fans to review their pop albums, and the goth fans to review their goth albums, please. If you really want to broadcast your hate of an entire genre of music, do so in a blog post or some similar forum. I thought the review was funny and I enjoyed reading it, but it has no business actually being a review.

well said!
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
23.04.2009 - 01:17
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Ask on 22.04.2009 at 21:21

This was intensely disappointing. Their second worst album in their discography only to 34.788%.

Aw man I must be crazy for liking that one...
23.04.2009 - 02:09
Rating: 8
Carrion Misery
As its been said, reviews are not just for people who like the CD or the band. I do like what Virhad said about mockery. I believe the key to a 'good' review is about constructive criticism and a band the reviewer is a familiar with. Otherwise it's going to be a blind, bias review. Obviously if one strictly listens to bands like Trivium or Dying Fetus, you will most likely mock the art of doom metal, and you will look very pathetic/ ignorant doing so. I just see this review is telling people not to listen to MDB because their music is slower than most metal and touches on tragic subjects - Not because of the skill, the talent, the lyrical construction, the formulaic flow and its faithfulness to themselves and the genre itself.

I truly don't see MDB as a 'wah wah I'll cut myself' because that isn't what MDB stands for. It is poetic music that obviously the reviewer and some others don't understand. This is a whole nother emotion that doesn't live in a huge percent of metal, and its fine if you don't prefer it. Fans are completely content that MDB has stuck to their roots and evolved here and there. To me, it is satisfying and a relief that they have done so because that is the sound I love MDB for. I have been completely disappointed in bands that have changed their style. I'll have 2 of their fantastic CDs, then they fuck up and change their style which in turn makes me not enjoy their previous releases.

Anyways, just like this review, my reply should be in a forum post. I'll be waiting for the real review of this CD.

Btw, MDB has always had traces of black metal in their music and they have applied it beautifully.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
23.04.2009 - 02:35
Rating: 10
Emperor IX
I completely disagree with your review jupitreas.
I am actually considering this for album of the year in my opinion.
if your not into doom metal what the fuck are you doing reviewing an album by an band that has pioneered a generation of metal.

Go back and listen to your Trivium and Job For A Cowboy.
23.04.2009 - 02:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Emperor IX on 23.04.2009 at 02:35

if your not into doom metal what the fuck are you doing reviewing an album by an band that has pioneered a generation of metal.

Clearly a pissed off fanboy talking here. I am toally into doom metal (much more than Jupitreas and probably also more than you) and I find this a mediocre doom metal album at best. They might have pioneered but that is toally not a reason for liking a mediocre album. Up to now this is the worst doom metal album I heard this year.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2009 - 02:48
Emperor IX
Oh by the way jupitreas, what the fuck are you doing reviewing metal when your into "alternative rap and dub" ? Why dont you go and review Eminems latest cd, poser!!
23.04.2009 - 02:54
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Actually, I hadn't bothered to listen to this latest effort until I read this review - the band's last album was so forgettable I really had low interest in the new one. But, upon reading this, it inspired me to sit down for a few listens today, and well, it's a decent album for me. Not a classic, but something I can put on and enjoy passively. Tracks 1 and 9 stick out most for me on the first listens.

I'll comment on the actual review part here: I have to say, I don't agree with you that this sounds like "Like Gods Of The Sun." Instruments are similiar in that way, but there isn't a moment on this new album that I think of the band's 1996 disc. About the humor/mockery of the band, well, really, this style of review can be used as a formula for any band that's been around awhile and has a particular approach... whether I like the band or not. Irregardless of the album's quality here, though, their performance at last year's Hellfest was amazing, and will stay with me for years to come.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
23.04.2009 - 02:56
Emperor IX
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.04.2009 at 02:42

Written by Emperor IX on 23.04.2009 at 02:35

Clearly a pissed off fanboy talking here. I am toally into doom metal (much more than Jupitreas and probably also more than you) and I find this a mediocre doom metal album at best. They might have pioneered but that is toally not a reason for liking a mediocre album. Up to now this is the worst doom metal album I heard this year.

Mediocre in YOUR opinion dude. This album is bold and strong and embraces an earlier side of My Dying Brides sound. Gutsy move in my opinion. I must admit upon first listen I was slightly distracted at there direction but after a few more spins I got hooked, cant put this album down. Yes I am a fan of My Dying Bride...No I dont follow a shitty review, I go out and buy my music and make my own opinions.
23.04.2009 - 06:20
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.

Mocking the entire gothic genre? Oh come on, Gothic bands are not just like MDB, there is an entire philosophy of the gothic genre and this comment makes me think that maybe you do not understand that, but that's ok, few people knows what is this about, well maybe I misunterstood this part. Now, a long time ago when I was a moron and I hated reviews that didn't have my point of view I wrote on one something like "if you want to listen to this album do it, if you didn't like it who cares" and Dr. Rock responded something like "If that were true every review on this site would be a 9.9/10", think about this.

Written by Emperor IX on 23.04.2009 at 02:48

Oh by the way jupitreas, what the fuck are you doing reviewing metal when your into "alternative rap and dub" ? Why dont you go and review Eminems latest cd, poser!!

Oh no, ah pissed-off fanboy who thinks that metal is the most superior genre of all times and that if you don't listen to the music or the bands he likes then you are a pouser! chan chan chan, hahaha, now, you can read a blog on this same web written by Herzebeth, it is called "You Suck!!!" and it is very ilustrative about this point. BTW, there is something called freedom of speech, remember, you can also write a review about this album.

Now to end this, good review, I liked it, the first part is really cliché but really funny. Everyone has it's own opinion, this is why there is a huge FORUM on this site.

PS. Eminem Rulz hahaha!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
23.04.2009 - 07:26
Ask
Written by Introspekrieg on 23.04.2009 at 01:17

Not necessarily. You'd only be crazy if you thought it was one of their best.
23.04.2009 - 08:54
Rating: 5
gid
Written by Ask on 23.04.2009 at 07:26

Written by Introspekrieg on 23.04.2009 at 01:17

Not necessarily. You'd only be crazy if you thought it was one of their best.

I think 34.788% is one of their best. I wish they'd do something like it again, instead of regurgitating the same old pap. Honestly, there's nothing new about this album. I can appreciate newcomers to death/doom metal will find it refreshing, but to me it's nothing I haven't heard before.

I have to agree with Marcel. I've been a doom fan for a long time, and a My Dying Bride fan for most of that time, but I honestly think this is one of their worst efforts. Nothing stands out about this album for me. Aaron's vocal delivery has gone from sounding truly emotional to simply sounding strained. The music is instantly forgettable: I think the first track had some good moments but besides that there is very little I find memorable about the album.

My Dying Bride shouldn't rest on their laurels. Yes, they're a pioneering death/doom band, but that doesn't mean I'm going to rate a poor album any better just because it's by them. If any other band had released this, it would have instantly been passed by and forgotten.
23.04.2009 - 08:56
Sulvrot
Written by Daggon on 23.04.2009 at 06:20

Mocking the entire gothic genre? Oh come on, Gothic bands are not just like MDB, there is an entire philosophy of the gothic genre and this comment makes me think that maybe you do not understand that, but that's ok, few people knows what is this about, well maybe I misunterstood this part. Now, a long time ago when I was a moron and I hated reviews that didn't have my point of view I wrote on one something like "if you want to listen to this album do it, if you didn't like it who cares" and Dr. Rock responded something like "If that were true every review on this site would be a 9.9/10", think about this.

Oh no, ah pissed-off fanboy who thinks that metal is the most superior genre of all times and that if you don't listen to the music or the bands he likes then you are a pouser! chan chan chan, hahaha, now, you can read a blog on this same web written by Herzebeth, it is called "You Suck!!!" and it is very ilustrative about this point. BTW, there is something called freedom of speech, remember, you can also write a review about this album.

Now to end this, good review, I liked it, the first part is really cliché but really funny. Everyone has it's own opinion, this is why there is a huge FORUM on this site.

PS. Eminem Rulz hahaha!

I didn't mean that you shouldn't review an album if you don't like it, I mean you shouldn't review an album if it's made in a genre you hate as a whole, because then you won't understand it at all. I haven't even heard this album, so I'm not defending it in any way, but I think that albums should be rated by how good they are within their respective genre. Doom metal albums should be judged by doom metal standards, thrash by thrash standards, etc. If you only like raw black metal, don't review Dream Theater. It would be fine to give this album a bad review as long as it was unbiased, but the first paragraph shows a complete lack of understanding for the idea of gothic doom metal. I love doom bands with violins and the like, but I'm never suicidal or moping when I listen to it, I just find it soothing and, in a way, beautiful. Romantic does not equal suicidal emo.

I do, however, have to agree with your statement about metal fanboyishness (if that's a word). I'm into all sorts of other genres, such as neoclassical, ambient, jazz, and trip hop, to name just a few. And, being a fan of trip hop, I believe I'm in a fair place to say that Mayhem's trip hop song, A Bloodsword and a Colder Sun, was very sub-par, even completely disregarding the fact that it was made by Mayhem. You don't have to love something to review it, you just have to understand where it's coming from.

Also, what do you mean when you talk about this philosophy of the gothic genre? I'm not really sure how to respond to that, since I don't know what you're getting at.
23.04.2009 - 09:46
Emperor IX
Written by Daggon on 23.04.2009 at 06:20

PS. Eminem Rulz hahaha!

This site is called METAL STORM. its not called bitches and hoes. Go back to your hole you little ghetto smurf.
23.04.2009 - 10:10
frankeli
Account deleted
Completely and utrly disagreeing with this review. It took me a bit more time and some dozen listening over a period of one month to fully grab this album.
23.04.2009 - 10:10
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
This review has nothing with this album, I didnt see nothing but Violins on this review, it seems that this guy just hates MDB and his review is about whole MDB's works and sences. Ive read all posts and I saw that ppl who doesnt like this album are agree with Jupiter, but its not fair. cause they dont care about the reivew, and they just loved this review cause it makes them happy!!!

the worst Review Ive ever read after a review about "Master of Puppets" at metalarchieves is this one. funny, very funny and its sounds really Whining.

Im agree that this is the most worst album which they have released, I love "A Line of Deathless Kings" and "34.788%... Complete", and the second one is a masterpiece by MDB, but maybe its not a doom one.

in the end I have to say: please dont think that you were too Frank man, your review is nothing but a crappy whining sad reivew.
23.04.2009 - 10:51
Emperor IX
The responsibility of a reviewer here on metalstorm is to analyze a piece of music to the best of his/her ability with regards to said genre or style, so that people who have not heard the music can be either persuaded or discouraged from buying it.

Jupitreas has purposely attacked an entire genre of music here, and metalstorm should know better, and not have approved of his post, I hate rap music and I have every right in saying that...but I would never go and put shit about a band or artists music on a rap forum.

This kind of dis-information especially from a review is just totally wrong, its amazing how all the little peanuts crawl out of the woodwork and join in for a laugh.

A posted review has a much greater responsibility than just stating an opinion, and should be taken more seriously.
23.04.2009 - 10:58
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Emperor IX on 23.04.2009 at 10:51

The responsibility of a reviewer here on metalstorm is to analyze a piece of music to the best of his/her ability with regards to said genre or style, so that people who have not heard the music can be either persuaded or discouraged from buying it.

Jupitreas has purposely attacked an entire genre of music here, and metalstorm should know better, and not have approved of his post, I hate rap music and I have every right in saying that...but I would never go and put shit about a band or artists music on a rap forum.

This kind of dis-information especially from a review is just totally wrong, its amazing how all the little peanuts crawl out of the woodwork and join in for a laugh.

A posted review has a much greater responsibility than just stating an opinion, and should be taken more seriously.

first of all I dont think if he hates Doom Metal music! cause as I know he likes doom metal, but it seems that he hates just MDB, or maybe Im wrong! but his review is saying such point of view. but Im not agree about your words about buying thing, cause ppl can understand! take a look at posts man, and then take a look at the point of this album, its 8.3 which it doesnt really deserve! but if someone wont buy this album cause of this review, IMO its better for the him/her to not read nothing in the world of music. cause there are a lot Paradoxes in reviews. Mature ppl can understand this man be not afraid!
23.04.2009 - 11:09
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Hey you guys. a review is a subjective opinion. deal with it.
23.04.2009 - 11:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@jupiteras

Im sure that you are agre with me that its not a review about this album man! you tired to destroy MDB's personality plus their fans feelings, its not a review. you insulted whole MDB's fans, and I shocked when you wrote such things!

Hits total: 16985 | This month: 4